Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rear impact, chance of bent chassis??

Options
  • 18-02-2012 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

My son drives a 2006 Peugeot 106 and slid in the sleet earlier and went up a small bank and hit a signpost at quite a speed damaging back passenger door, rear panel and the rear passenger wheel looks a little off as well as there being a horrendous noise when driving it home.

We've looked inside the boot and theres no obvious crease but we're unsure of the chances of a bent chassis and if so is this likely to write off the car? I know without pictures you can only guess but any opinions are appreciated. We only renewed the insurance last mnth :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

piperh wrote: »
    My son drives a 2006 Peugeot 106 and slid in the sleet earlier and went up a small bank and hit a signpost at quite a speed damaging back passenger door, rear panel and the rear passenger wheel looks a little off as well as there being a horrendous noise when driving it home.

We've looked inside the boot and theres no obvious crease but we're unsure of the chances of a bent chassis and if so is this likely to write off the car? I know without pictures you can only guess but any opinions are appreciated. We only renewed the insurance last mnth :o

206 I presume?

The cheapest was to check would be to bring it to somewhere that does full 4 wheel alignment and have it checked.

If an axle is bent or damaged it will show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

206 I presume?

The cheapest was to check would be to bring it to somewhere that does full 4 wheel alignment and have it checked.

If an axle is bent or damaged it will show up.

Thanks No its a 106. We were worried about driving it anywhere as the noise is quite bad and we didn't want to do more damage, it was scary enough driving it the 4km home.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thanks No its a 106.

:eek:

OT but they stopped the 106 in 2003.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Thanks No its a 106. We were worried about driving it anywhere as the noise is quite bad and we didn't want to do more damage, it was scary enough driving it the 4km home.

The 106 wasn't made in 2006.:confused:

Anyway, the 106/107/206(whatever it is) all have solid rear axles so if the rear wheel looks off/bent then the axle is damaged.

With regards to the noise, are you sure there isn't anything rubbing against the wheel/tyre?

:eek:

OT but they stopped the 106 in 2003.

My bad just checked it is a 206 sorry :o

We couldn't see anything lodged in the rear but thats not to say there wasn't anything there

• Advertisement

I've added a few pictures so hopefully that'll help with opinions. Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's impossible to say if there is chasis damage after that knock. A bodyshop will get the vehicle in the air though and tell you quickly enough.

If I had to guess I'd say the damge is probably cosmetic only, although the noise you mentioned sounds nasty.

WHeel looks turned in, wouldnt drive that tbh for safety, insurance, legal and common sense reasons.

Thanks for the replies, The cars been in the garage this morning and chassis is ok. Wheel is bent in and rubbing as the axle is bent so its a new axle needed :rolleyes: but the good part is the rear panel can be repaired so don't need a new one.

Advertisement