Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Headlight realignment on left hand drive

Options
  • 18-02-2012 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Recently failed the NCT because the headlights need to be re-aligned. I went to get this fixed and mechanic told me I'd need new headlights as they cannot be realigned because the car is a left hand drive and the lights are aligned too far to the right which is normal for a left hand drive but means that when driving in Ireland the lights are directed at oncoming traffic.

Mechanic told me that there were stickers that could be used but that they were not that reliable and may not pass the NCT.

The car is a 2005 peugeot 206 1.4 Diesel. Was quoted €110 each for new head lamps.

I just wanted to check with posters on here if this sounded like a reasonable explanation and if replacing the headlights was the best alternative.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

As I discovered recently, some headlights can be switched from LHD to RHD.

But if yours can't then you may be able to flatten the beam with 'beam benders' or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

As I discovered recently, some headlights can be switched from LHD to RHD.

But if yours can't then you may be able to flatten the beam with 'beam benders' or similar.

Is that only with xenon headlights? I know mine have a switch at the back of the headlight unit to switch from LHD to RHD and I've only read about this in relation to xenon lights

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Definitely exchanging headlights is going to be the best solution. However there's probably no point in getting new headlights. Just buy secondhand on some scrapyard or sth.

Beam benders, while widely used, is not really a correct description, as they don't bend any beam. What they do is flatten the beam..
    I.e.
    While lights in RHD car should give light like this: \___ \___, then lights in LHD car give light like that: ___/ ___/. By using beam bender you are just making your lights like that: ___ ___
    It will prevent you from seeing side of the road properly, that's why it's better to have the whole headlamps exchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

Thanks for the replies. Any thoughts on the price of €110 per headlamp. Does that sound reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

censuspro wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Any thoughts on the price of €110 per headlamp. Does that sound reasonable.

Why not look up ebay.de and see what price they are?

Try "scheinwerfer" (headlight) and your car make and model.
    http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_nkw=peugeot+206+S16+scheinwerfer&_sacat=0&_sop=2&_dmpt=DE_Autoteile&_odkw=peugeot+206+05+scheinwerfer&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Please verify the correct series and model year for yourself as I am not well up on Peugeots,
    Best regards
    G

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

censuspro wrote: »

No it doesnt. Quick search of ebay shows new pair for £70...seconhand pair should be way cheaper than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

had this problem meself. ended up getting second hand headlights way cheaper

Advertisement