Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal loan for used car

Options
  • 18-02-2012 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Is it true that the banks aren't giving out personal loans for used cars anymore? I applied for a personal loan yesterday, have no other debts and a regular income but someone told me I hadn't a hope of AIB approving the loan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Yes they are. Urban myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

They are just giving out little or no money...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Feardorca

Sabrielle wrote: »
    Is it true that the banks aren't giving out personal loans for used cars anymore? I applied for a personal loan yesterday, have no other debts and a regular income but someone told me I hadn't a hope of AIB approving the loan.
    Try a Credit Union no hassle, nice people to deal with, good rates for vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Feardorca wrote: »
    Try a Credit Union no hassle, nice people to deal with, good rates for vehicles.

I would not say no hassle as such. Certainly less hassle than the banks most times but they are under increasing pressure at the moment. This is highly dependent on the individual CU itself.

OP, they are giving out personal loans. The fact you are buying a car with it doesnt make a difference. The lending criteria is quite strict and much tighter than it was in the boom times!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Sabrielle

Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll find out what the story is from them tomorrow. Everyone's situation is different I suppose so its hard to call it. I've had people with no debts and a good income and savings etc. tell me they couldn't get a loan and other people with overdrafts and mortgages saying they got personal loans approved.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I got a small loan for a used car just over a year ago from Ulster Bank, so yes they are.

Advertisement