Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stiff bottom bracket

Options
  • 18-02-2012 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Mate has a Planet X with a FSA bb. Noticed that it has gone stiff, ie. when you spin it it won't rotate on it's own. Bike is only 8/9 month old and he's only put up about 400km on it. Any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

gmoorewest wrote: »
    Mate has a Planet X with a FSA bb. Noticed that it has gone stiff, ie. when you spin it it won't rotate on it's own. Bike is only 8/9 month old and he's only put up about 400km on it. Any ideas.
    Bearings may be worn I guess ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Nut on the spindle tightened too tight, possibly. Look at this from about 8:40 onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭gmoorewest

Thanks Blaaman, I was looking at the bike today but didn't have tools so just looking. Is a FSA bb the same as shimano. On the video the tool he was using to "nip it a bit" on the FSA that bolt is tighten with an Allen key. So should we losen that bolt a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Same concept with FSA, slightly different technique. I fitted a FSA crank this week and as well as the spindle bolt (also, dont tighten the crank arm pinch bolts until the spindle bolt is correctly positioned) there is an O-ring in there outside of the bottom bracket (ie between the BB and the crank arm). If any of these are incorrectly set you may experience the symptoms you are seeing (or it could still be seized BB bearings)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭gmoorewest

Thanks Blaaman. Think he's gonna go back to the lads in PX in Athlone as bike is only a few months old so we'll leave it to them. I'd say it is a problem with the bearings rather than the chain set etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement