Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boxing for defence?

• 18-02-2012 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭

Me and a few of the lads got a bit of hassle last night from another few lads (who are years younger than us) who do MMA :rolleyes:

Which got me thinking, about 2-3 months ago I got invited to join a boxing club and at the time I had actually planned on doing it but then xmas kinda got in the way and it went on the long finger :o so Im thinking now if I take up the boxing would it be worthwhile? Or as a boxer would I get killed against even the least skilled MMA guy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Gonzor wrote: »
    Me and a few of the lads got a bit of hassle last night from another few lads (who are years younger than us) who do MMA :rolleyes:

Which got me thinking, about 2-3 months ago I got invited to join a boxing club and at the time I had actually planned on doing it but then xmas kinda got in the way and it went on the long finger :o so Im thinking now if I take up the boxing would it be worthwhile? Or as a boxer would I get killed against even the least skilled MMA guy.
    I'm not a fan of boxing for self defense, boxing guards are too high for a lot of things. I do a bit of Karate and I've noticed sparring with lads who did boxing before that they all use a high guard which messes them up defending against kicks. They also only use the fists. If you get in a real situation and throw a punch you will probably hurt your hands as much as anything. Boxing doesn't really worry about conditioning the fists since they have gloves to protect the fist when doing boxing.

That said it probably depends on the club some might put a focus on self defense but most won't

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭slammer187

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Boxing is far superior to karate for defense, I done 6 months and can tell straight out 1 class of boxing made me more skilled than the 6 months.

Also if you can box you will not hit sloppy and break hands too easy-kicking is rarely used in street fights either so not high on agenda for self defense-If it's a straight fight boxing can easily win, If it's pre arranged and they know your a boxer then possibly they'll fight smart and beat it, either way they'll beat karate, most street fights are finished quick and a few digs will end it fast.

Also the fact lads with Mma skills are going around starting fights is not common and pretty bad form, same would apply with anyone learning any discipline.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Karate loses against boxing hands down....

funny_captions_couldnt_have_said_it_better_myself.jpg

...amirite?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

Did they say they trained UFC and were blackbelts in it :p Boxing's a great workout , confidence builder and pretty good defensively. It'll help develop your reactions and other things but like many other posters have stated karate, kickboxing can do just as much as isn't as linear as it focuses on using more bodyparts.
    Obvious advice is just try to talk your way out of a fight or worse case scenario run away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

Im not trying to start a "which is better" type of thread. I know there are a lot of variables involved, but very generally speaking, I was just wondering can a good boxer hold his own in a street fight (not that I actually plan on needing it)

BTW, thanks for that reply Ciaran_Boyle, thats the sorta replies Im looking for. :)

can a good boxer hold his own in a street fight

Yes, boxing is very effective and would be very useful to have in a street fight.

No offense to younor Ciaran Boyle but he gave pretty poor advice in my opinion-boxing is great for self defense, probably in most scenarios the 1st tool you will need and hopefully the last if used right

The best bet would obviously to avoid the eejits in the 1st place but if you can't having training that works is key.

manga_10 wrote: »
    Did they say they trained UFC and were blackbelts in it :p Boxing's a great workout , confidence builder and pretty good defensively.

:D No, but one of the lads I was with knew them because he saw their picture in the newspaper a few weeks ago for something to do with MMA. Oh and the silva t-shirt was a bit of a give away aswell :D:p

Yeh thats why I had considered boxing initially, just mainly to get some exercise and hopefully make a few friends. But then like I said it got put on the long finger, and then thinking about those lads last night is making me want to look into it incase I ever actually do need it. Im not a fighting sorta guy, but Id like to be able stand my ground if that ever happens again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I'm of the opinion that finding one that suits you most will be your best bet. Boxing's great, makes you very fast, light on your feet, quick reflexes, and if needed you'll pop someone right on the nose and the fight wont last much longer. Sure the guard's high, but if you get the first few digs in it wont matter.

To be honest, you seem to fancy taking it up, so go for it. You wont get better at anything thinking about which one to take up. Asking which style / art is better can quickly turn into a "my dad can beat up your dad" type of conversation, so just go for it and enjoy yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

By the way nothing is good for self defense unless there is a focus on it in class. If you are taught to box or to do Karate or anything else it won't be good in a street fight or a self defense situation unless there is a focus on that type of thing in class.

Also I'm a guy who likes to kick people be it sparing, competition or in self defense. Why do I like to kick? Because I'm good at it and can cause damage. Simple as.

Best of luck whatever you do OP, find something you like and enjoy whatever it is will improve your self defense.

Just to qualify this, I'm not having a go here or trying to derail the thread but I do enjoy discussing this type of thing...
    If you are taught to box or to do Karate or anything else it won't be good in a street fight or a self defense situation unless there is a focus on that type of thing in class.

Is this not a somewhat contradictory opinion for someone promoting a semi contact martial art? Either way I couldn't disagree more with this. You do not have to train a 'street' situation for it to be effective. Throwing thousands of jabs and crosses again and again in full contact sparring is more than sufficient for it to be your reflex should the situation arrise.
    Also I'm a guy who likes to kick people be it sparing, competition or in self defense. Why do I like to kick? Because I'm good at it and can cause damage. Simple as.

Me too, I love to kick, knee and elbow as well as punch, however I'm still going to have a problem with someone who has focused all their time on training just hands while I was off learning those other things. There is always a trade off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

:D No, but one of the lads I was with knew them because he saw their picture in the newspaper a few weeks ago for something to do with MMA. Oh and the silva t-shirt was a bit of a give away aswell :D:p

he he :D

Oh, and +1 for everything Cowzer has posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

cowzerp wrote: »

Also if you can box you will not hit sloppy and break hands too easy-

Mike Tyson was a sloppy hitter? :eek:

Bambi wrote: »
    Mike Tyson was a sloppy hitter? :eek:

Bones can break-and even good boxers can land sloppy punches.
    Same could be applied to kicking and feet etc

To be honest, you seem to fancy taking it up, so go for it. You wont get better at anything thinking about which one to take up. Asking which style / art is better can quickly turn into a "my dad can beat up your dad" type of conversation, so just go for it and enjoy yourself.

I think maybe your right hidinginthebush, its obvious just from reading all the other replies in this thread that we could argue all night and still be no further.

THanks for the advice everyone, think I'll go with the boxing :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

It depends on the person and the level they're at as to what is more effective...

But on paper, in a street/alleyway type of situation I'd bet on the boxer every time, especially when you bring up the fact that there was more than one assailant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Find out what club they train in and inform their coach that they are starting fights, you got away without a beating but the next person they target might not be so lucky.

_oveless wrote: »
    Find out what club they train in and inform their coach that they are starting fights, you got away without a beating but the next person they target might not be so lucky.

Exactly. Name and shame now imo. Haven't been in a fight outside since primary school,I don't know how people find themselves in these positions regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Have you looked into Muay Thai? Good boxing skills with a nice mix of kicks/knees... not the silly over the top, not possible wearing jeans or after a few pints kicks. Personally I would think this is the best form of defence and I have done Bushido, Kempo and Judo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement