Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cleaning a lambda

Options
  • 18-02-2012 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

whats the best way to clean a lambda sensor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

None. You may damage the sensors already in it. Better off replacing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

A mild cleaner would be better so

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

A blowtorch and a multimeter to read the volt range over the temp change.
    I wouldnt be putting any chemicals on it.

Was thinking of soaking it in vinegar for a day or two. Lambda was reading high in the NCT (one year ago). Fixed a small crack where the pipe enters the back box since. Was gonna clean the lambda just to be sure it wasn't that because i'm not sure if the crack was there before the test or after. Car's a 97 with 130000 miles. Doubt the lambda's ever been changed so it's obviously not gonna be at its best.

If the lambda's before the cat will that crack at the back box have caused it to read high in the test?

Don't have a multimeter or a blow torch so cant check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

How does the pricing look?

- Check ebay/Forum for your motor etc. - Might be a fraction of what your local factors want from you.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Was thinking of soaking it in vinegar for a day or two. .

Is that a thing thats.. "done"? Vinegar is an Acid and it likely has a lot of water in it too.. neither of which the sensor is designed to be around in such large quantities.
    If you are going to do it this way, putting it in a bag filled with Ethanol or something high in Alcohol over night would be a better idea IMO. You can buy a little mini gas torch for like EUR20 btw, they arent expensive and the head is reusable (just replace the canister).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Lambda was reading high in the NCT

Mixture problem.
    Fixed a small crack where the pipe enters the back box since

Downstream of the Lambda, irrelevant to your problem.

You need to see a mechanic.

Raiser wrote: »

- Check ebay/Forum for your motor etc. - Might be a fraction of what your local factors want from you.....

Not sure on which part to get on ebay. The car is a Lancer 1.3 glx 1997. same model as this. http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2792790. Any idea's.

The two options for cleaning it i've come across are to soak it in petrol or in vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GL scrappy

I read somewhere that an overnight soak in the juice of two lemons was the way to go, haven't tried it yet myself but I plan to. I'd be happier trying it when I have a new sensor on standby, just in case like. I wouldn't see cleaning as an alternative to replacement, but it may help figure out if it's the sensor that's causing mixture issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Raiser wrote: »

Not sure on pricing, if the OP PM's me the car details or reg I can get a price tomorrow in work. At a guess about 80-90 + VAT.

If the lambda is gone then trying to clean it is not going to do any more damage, so no harm trying.

• Advertisement

Not sure on pricing, if the OP PM's me the car details or reg I can get a price tomorrow in work. At a guess about 80-90 + VAT.

If the lambda is gone then trying to clean it is not going to do any more damage, so no harm trying.

Cheers PM sent.

The lambda read 1.09 with the limits .97 to 1.03 as far as i can remember. Doesn't seem like much to me. I'm hoping its just a bit dirty. Would 1.09 suggest the lambda's gone as you said? Car drives well in general apart from idleing at 2000 rpm for the first minute or two.

Advertisement