Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Convertible Conundrum

Options
  • 18-02-2012 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hey everyone, I'm currently in the process of buying a new convertible and I've come stuck when it comes to the decision . Im trying to decide between the A4 and the Z4 , two very different cars I know. Aside from the mechanical problems with each car which I'm familiar with on both sides , I would genuinely like to hear peoples opinions , your replies are greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If princess di was alive, she'd probably be driving an a4 cabrio.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

colm_mcm wrote: »

Hmmm, a few years ago, I'd have said A4, but I saw a lovely Z4 in white the other day.......never a Bee Emm fan really, I thought it looked well.......colour would be a big factor for me.

Tell us what palette youre thinking of, and what engine/transmission ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

galwaytt wrote: »
    colm_mcm wrote: »

Hmmm, a few years ago, I'd have said A4, but I saw a lovely Z4 in white the other day.......never a Bee Emm fan really, I thought it looked well.......colour would be a big factor for me.

Tell us what palette youre thinking of, and what engine/transmission ?

I'm looking at dark greys and blacks with either black or red leather. Engine wise 2.5 in the BMW. 1.8turbo in the Audi , manual in both cases

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

It might seem a stupid question but what heigth/size are you, really big people can look a bit silly in a Z4.

I'd go for the Audi only because I visually don't like the Z4, but best of luck whichever way you go.

bijapos wrote: »
    It might seem a stupid question but what heigth/size are you, really big people can look a bit silly in a Z4.

I'd go for the Audi only because I visually don't like the Z4, but best of luck whichever way you go.

Thanks for the kind words , I'm only 5ft 7 so I look small in anything haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I'm biased but I'd highly recommend a Honda S2000.
    Just take one for a drive when she's fully warmed up, rev her all the way to 9k RPM and you'll understand if it's for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

Out of the two you mentioned I would say the Z4 would be the nicer car to drive, front engine and rwd vs the fwd audi.
    The 1.8t engine in the A4 is prone to sludge build up if not serviced with the correct oil and changed regularly.
    Do you need rear seats?

I'm biased but I'd highly recommend a Honda S2000.
    Just take one for a drive when she's fully warmed up, rev her all the way to 9k RPM and you'll understand if it's for you.

Im afraid I've got a soft spot for German cars, I've driven the S2000 and its a great drive, its just not me

Neilw wrote: »
    Out of the two you mentioned I would say the Z4 would be the nicer car to drive, front engine and rwd vs the fwd audi.
    The 1.8t engine in the A4 is prone to sludge build up if not serviced with the correct oil and changed regularly.
    Do you need rear seats?

Don't particularly need rear seats. I like the styling of the BMW but I also like the classic simple lines of the Audi

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

toushea wrote: »

I'm looking at dark greys and blacks with either black or red leather. Engine wise 2.5 in the BMW. 1.8turbo in the Audi , manual in both cases

Red leather, yes, yum. Black paint, mmm,no, well I wouldn't.

I wouldn't do Grey, either, but of the two, it would be what I'd pick.

I've had a couple of TT's, so I like the 1.8, but 2.5 is the only choice I'd put in the BMW, so both good choices.

But I wouldn't buy either in manual. A modern Auto is very good. (in the Audi though, NOT the multitronic box. )

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

never liked the audi cabrio styling myself. i suppose a saab is out of the question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

Had an A4 s-line Cabriolet two years back. Great looking car but was back in the garage every other week with various issues. Had every type of courtesy car going.
    Want another convertible for this summer. Either another a4 because I've always liked them or a SLK.
    On the subject of the A4 cabriolets, if you come across 05wd2932 (black s-line)for sale in or around Dublin- avoid it like the plague. It was my one. Returned it back to garage a week before the warranty expired.
    Seen it for sale on car zone recently somewhere on the Naas Road. It says two owners in the ads but I was the third and that was two years ago. Since then, it's been moved from garage to garage. Looks a stunner but mechanically, it will break your heart and wallet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Would go Z4 myself, the 1.8T engine is a bit weak and the FWD would annoy me. Thought about a boxster.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I wouldn't go near the Audi unless it was a quattro model.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Why isn't a Porsche Boxster on the shopping list? Is it not up there with the S2000?

Unfortunately the word porsche doesn't go down well with an insurance company at my age , regardless of power. Not a big fan of it anyway tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

I'm also biased and as such would say an S2000.

Other than that, I'd take the BMW. Wouldn't touch the Audi.

I think I've settled on the Z4 , thanks to everyone for their opinions , all i need to do now is sell my car :confused:

Advertisement