Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easter Sunday

Options
  • 17-02-2012 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Do pubs or nightclubs be open ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

They be.

Good Friday and Christmas Day are the only days they're forced to close.
    (These days, anyway. Up until 1962 it was illegal to serve drink on St Patrick's Day too. Better times...)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

BeerNut wrote: »
    They be.

Good Friday and Christmas Day are the only days they're forced to close.
    (These days, anyway. Up until 1962 it was illegal to serve drink on St Patrick's Day too. Better times...)

Unless you went to the dog show in the RDS (or was that Good Friday?)!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There seems to be some confusion and I can't find an original citation of the Behan anecdote, but I'd say St. Patrick's Day was more likely.
    The Gaelic League campaigned way back when to close pubs on St Patrick’s Day, and their goal was achieved. Sixty years ago, the only place to get a drink in Dublin was, reputedly, the dog show at the RDS, and this was where you could find Brendan Behan, who had swung a “marking” from the Irish Press. “A great day out,” Brendan is reported to have said, “and a great place to meet all your friends. Funny place to bring a dog though.”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

BeerNut wrote: »
    There seems to be some confusion and I can't find an original citation of the Behan anecdote, but I'd say St. Patrick's Day was more likely.

Nearly sure it was St Patricks Day that my Dad used to say they would go to the RDS for the Dog Show as it was the only place in Dublin you could get a drink!

Advertisement