Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to take up another language... Any Ideas? :)

Options
  • 17-02-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭

So, I'm looking to take up another language... I'm fleunt in English (obviously!) and Irish (went to gaelscoil and kept the language up!).. I also take French in school and would be almost at intermediate level! :P I'm now looking to take up a fourth language to study in my own time... Im just not sure which language to take :O I've seriously thought about:
    • Spanish
    • Italian
    • Russain
    • Japanese

Any Advice or Ideas? Thanks Much Appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shalashaska

Speaking from experience, if you are pretty good at French, you will pick up Spanish and Italian fairly handily (with a bit of work of course :)).

However, Russian may be useful language to master job-wise in the future as it is going to be a serious player in the global economy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'd say pick whichever one you like the culture of the most. Films, songs and all that can help a lot when learning a language. So it helps a lot if you like the films songs etc. that come out of that country. I've learned Spanish and Russian and loved them both. Spanish is easier to get to a daycent level of, but I just love the sound of Russian.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

Speaking from experience, if you are pretty good at French, you will pick up Spanish and Italian fairly handily (with a bit of work of course :)).

However, Russian may be useful language to master job-wise in the future as it is going to be a serious player in the global economy.

Russian already is a useful language to master. Lots of people (other than in ex-Soviet republics) can speak it in Canada, the US and Israel, just to name a few countries.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Looking at a different way, perhaps check both a list of how easy the language is for native English speakers and as well what tools/sites (babbel/duolingo) support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Klingon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

daveyeh wrote: »
    Klingon
    Well if one has to understand Shakespeare it is best done in his original tongue.

Advertisement