Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Fail how much to fix

Options
  • 17-02-2012 5:54pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

my car failed the NCT today, tbh wasnt surprised.

i cant afford to buy a new to me car for about 6 months so i was just wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea how much it would cost to fix and what parts i can buy second hand cos i have no idea about cars.

2 wheel bearings (have no idea what these are or what they do)
    Brake Lines/Hoses are rotten
    Seat belt frayed (have managed to get one second hand already)
    Emission Lambda fail

thanks

IB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What's the car?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Wheel bearings and brake lines need to be done by the garage unless you're handy with a spanner and have done them before, because the involve a lot off disassembly and the brakes will need to be bled, shouldn't cost a fortune though, can't give exact price now.
    Exchanging the seat belt could be done by someone who is handy enough.
    Emissions fail is a different thing though, this could be anything from the car needing a bit of fuel additive to a completely new exhaust system, so between E5 and a few hundred.
    Best to post make/model/year of car and test results.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

thanks, probably best to bring it mechanic so

i really just wanted to have all the second hand parts first but i not know what parts i need

• Registered Users Posts: 65,054 ✭✭✭✭unkel

irishbird wrote: »
    i really just wanted to have all the second hand parts first

Not a good idea!

Before you spend any money, let a decent garage (with emission equipment) do a diagnosis for you and come up with an estimate

Based on that and an estimate of the wheel bearings (I guess about 100 per wheel?) and the other issues, you can decide whether it is worth it to have the work done. As already asked, what car is it?

Have a look at the bangernomics thread. You can buy a perfectly good car with a long NCT from a few hundred euro (less than what it costs to fix your car) and upwards these days. Sometimes it is better to let go and move on.

Advertisement