Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Fail

Options
  • 17-02-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭

The other half's 99 Audi failed on a few small items, some of the Visual defects are listed as,

Items;Rear lamp and stop lamps-Description; rear lamp intensity and stop lamp intensity.Fail due to incorrect/different.
    Does this mean the lamps are not bright enough?
    What do they mean exactly? and how or where do I get it fixed?can i fix it myself?(money is tight)Any help/advice would be very appreciated.
    Regards,
    KK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

kabakuyu wrote: »
    The other half's 99 Audi failed on a few small items, some of the Visual defects are listed as,

Items;Rear lamp and stop lamps-Description; rear lamp intensity and stop lamp intensity.Fail due to incorrect/different.
    Does this mean the lamps are not bright enough?
    What do they mean exactly? and how or where do I get it fixed?can i fix it myself?(money is tight)Any help/advice would be very appreciated.
    Regards,
    KK.
    Starting point would be to have a look at your lights to see are they all nice and even in terms of brightness

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The red on the lamps can basically burn off over the time they are in the car. Most people are oblivious of this fact until a garage or NCT person informs them of it.

Likely you just need to get a set of new bulbs.

Next time you are out and about look at other peoples indicators when they flash. Some of them are barely a shade of yellow past white and would fail an NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I've occasionally seen cars going around with a glaringly bright tail light on one side.

I guess someone put the dual-filament brake/tail bulb in the wrong way or they could have put in a 21W brake bulb instead of a 5W tail bulb.
    Shouldn't happen but it can.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I've occasionally seen cars going around with a glaringly bright tail light on one side.

I guess someone put the dual-filament brake/tail bulb in the wrong way or they could have put in a 21W brake bulb instead of a 5W tail bulb.
    Shouldn't happen but it can.

With some cars, especially B5 VW Passat, you can insert the bulb upside down and instead of the filament for the tail light being on the stop light filament is on.

Most people think they are doing good by changing bulbs but when they change the front or back arseways then it makes little difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Beer Baron wrote: »
    With some cars, especially B5 VW Passat, you can insert the bulb upside down and instead of the filament for the tail light being on the stop light filament is on.

Most people think they are doing good by changing bulbs but when they change the front or back arseways then it makes little difference.

Thanks and Now that you mention it, she had 2 new tyres fitted before test and mechanic said he also replaced a rear bulb.

• Advertisement
Advertisement