Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Durty Nelly's

Options
  • 17-02-2012 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just bought a Grabone deal for Durty Nelly's, only new to the Limerick area, never been there before, was wondering if anyone had been and if it's any good?

Thanks a thousand! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Well without a coupon/voucher I wouldn't recommend the restaurant. It's standard 'Oirishy' fair, Guinness stew etc.
    The pub is class though and on a busy night it can be great. If I was to recommend somewhere to eat in Bunratty it would be Gallaghers/PJ Clarkes, but that would be on the higher end of price but you do get what you pay for.
    I hope I haven't turned you off now, Nelly's is grand, food isn't spectacular, just grand...it's just anytime I've eaten there I felt the quality of the food didn't match the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Durty Nelly's is in Co. Clare :pac:....

Would not be known for it's food to be honest as it is a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

bazz26 wrote: »

I'd say she knows this, Bunratty is closer to Limerick than it is to Ennis so we'll give her the benefit of the doubt :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Yeah, I do know it's in Clare.. now.. :P

I'm from the North originally, would have had no reason to be in this part of the country, but I'm learning to drive ATM so one of the main reasons I bought this deal was to force myself to drive somewhere... The menu looks really good, actually.

Anyone got any directions from Limerick Cittaaay to Bunratty that involve no motorways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

bazz26 wrote: »

Would not be known for it's food to be honest as it is a pub.

Wouldnt agree. 2 Restaurants in the place. The one downstairs is ok, but the Loft restaurant is very good any time i've been there

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I'm from the North originally, would have had no reason to be in this part of the country, but I'm learning to drive ATM so one of the main reasons I bought this deal was to force myself to drive somewhere... The menu looks really good, actually.

Anyone got any directions from Limerick Cittaaay to Bunratty that involve no motorways?

When you're in Limerick city, head for Shannon. You cant miss it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Also you should try the creamery it is basically across the road from Durty Nellys IMHO better food and better bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Melion wrote: »

When you're in Limerick city, head for Shannon. You cant miss it!

Thankies! :-) I'll still be bringingy GPS though! The menu looks good.. Looking forward to trying the chowder!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,789 ✭✭✭✭phog

The road to Shannon is dual carriageway and not a motorway so you should be ok. You can avoid the tunnel by joining the N18 near Cratloe.

At Bunratty, you need to use the flyover, be careful at the top of the slip road off the dual carriageway as traffic may be approching from your right. When leaving Bunratty for Limerick you can join the dual carriageway near Durty Nelly's.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep, M18 motorway only starts from just past Shannon onto Ennis/Gort. Limerick to Bunratty is the N18 dual carriageway which learner drivers can use.

Map:> http://www.ideasforcheapstuff.com/inex/roads/m18/m18.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Durty's is still in Clare, doesn't matter how close it is to anywhere, it's in Clare, Limerick can't be having it anymore (although I will leave a redirect :))

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Re gallaghers, they were doing a €60 3 course and a bottle of wine deal before Christmas. Fantastic value given how good the food was.

Eaten in nellys a few times, upstairs and down, quite nice but not amazing or anything. Great if you want a few pints before and after.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Re gallaghers, they were doing a €60 3 course and a bottle of wine deal before Christmas. Fantastic value given how good the food was.

Eaten in nellys a few times, upstairs and down, quite nice but not amazing or anything. Great if you want a few pints before and after.
    How is €60 fantastic value?? For a couple was it, I hope so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Nelly's is not great IMO. Pub is good crack but foodwise I would head to clarkes.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Carazy wrote: »
    How is €60 fantastic value?? For a couple was it, I hope so?

Yes. For two!

Wine and Dine Menu

3 Course + Coffee + Btl House Wine €60.00 Per Couple

2 Course + Coffee + ½ House Wine €26.50 Per Person

2 Course + Coffee €24.00 Per Person

Or...Upgrade to any wine from our wine list and only pay €44.00 for your food per couple! 

Starters

Steamed Wild Mussels
     Mussels steamed in white wine with a garlic cream sauce

Refined Fish & Chips
    Breaded cod coujons served with mini chips & tartar sauce

Nicoise Salad
    Mixed salad with black olives, roast artichoke, sundried tomato & pan fried tuna

Duck & Chicken Liver Pate
    With pickled cucumber, melba toast and Cumberland sauce

Ballotine of Chicken & Mushrooms
    Chicken roulade flavoured with forest mushrooms & bacon served with mixed leaves, prune & apple chutney

Goats Cheese & Black Pudding
    St. Tola's goats cheese with Clonakilty black pudding fritter on apple & celery salad, honey cream sauce

Gallagher’s Creamy Seafood Chowder
    Made with medley of fresh local seafood

Home-made Soup of the Evening
    Served with freshly homemade breads

Main Course

Grilled Salmon
    Salmon “skin side up” on vegetable spaghetti with passion fruit beurre blanc

Lemon Sole
    Deep fried fillets of lemon sole in spicy flour with honey and curry aioli, fennel and radicchio salad

8 oz Sirloin Steak
    Chargrilled or pan-fried and served with garlic butter

Pan-roasted Chicken Fillet
    Chicken breast flavoured with lime & cinnamon served on roast pepper & black olive couscous with coriander humus jus roti

Duo of Red Snapper & Hake
    Pan-seared duo of red snapper & hake in garlic butter on basil pesto mash & tomato concasse

Vegetarian Casserole
    Bean and lentil casserole with basil pesto and fresh Parmesan shavings

Selection of Homemade Desserts

Tea / Coffee

(Please note: this is a sample menu and it may change from time to time)

Available Nightly All Week from 5.30pm - 9.30pm (excluding Saturdays)
    Available Saturdays from 5.30 - 6.30pm Bank Holiday Sunday from  5.30 - 6.30pm

I had the goats cheese and b pudd, and the duo of snapper and hake. Was top notch.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've eaten there half a dozen times, and I've never had a bad meal there. Their sea bass is nice.

I actually bought two of those offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭golfball37

Bunratty Manor kicks the behind off Gallaghers for me, twice the food and half the price.

I believe the guy who runs it came from gallaghers originally.

JP Clarkes is very stingy imo, food is nice but 14 euro for 2 slices of roast beef just ain't on.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sasol

vkid wrote: »
    Wouldnt agree. 2 Restaurants in the place. The one downstairs is ok, but the Loft restaurant is very good any time i've been there

I would second this.

If you are going for a bit to eat there - def try to go upstairs to the Loft restaurant. Anytime I have eaten there, it has been excellent.

The restaurant downstairs is average.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Been going to Nellies for over 35 years, about 6 times a year. I never had a bad meal yet. We usually eat in the Rest. Downstairs. They were doing dinner for 2 for E55. to include 4 courses + 1 bottle of house wine between 2 persons. I always order Seafood Chowder, which is great, and Sirlion steak, which is also excellent. I think it is Excellent Value. I have also been to the other eateries in Bunratty, and they are all very good, you will really be spoiled for choice in Bunratty, it is a lovely place to spend a few hours, and relax. I hope you enjoy your experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Hi, dined here recently. IMO Nellies is living of past reputation, Food not so great (starter of smoked salmon consisted of 1 slice smoked salmon, lettuce and melon!!), service good, staff cheery and prompt. Main course, Salmon overcooked and accompanied by a bowl of garlic mash with a puddle of oil in the bottom of bowl....better to go to nearby Gallaghers, almost same price for early bird menu but food way superior. Also worth noting, Nelly's have a 10% service charge...which we were told does not get passed to staff!! deal breaker, wont be back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Hi, dined here recently. IMO Nellies is living of past reputation, Food not so great (starter of smoked salmon consisted of 1 slice smoked salmon, lettuce and melon!!), service good, staff cheery and prompt. Main course, Salmon overcooked and accompanied by a bowl of garlic mash with a puddle of oil in the bottom of bowl....better to go to nearby Gallaghers, almost same price for early bird menu but food way superior. Also worth noting, Nelly's have a 10% service charge...which we were told does not get passed to staff!! deal breaker, wont be back

I agree. Nellies used to have the best fish'n chips in Ireland & I used recommend to friends & tourists. In recent years the standard have gone down. I dont go there anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭georgem25

Definitely not as good as it used to be!!

Advertisement