Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hub dynamo wheels and changing bikes

Options
  • 17-02-2012 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

another thread here has got me thinking about hub dynamos and lights (i'd love one!)

is it a pain in the ass swapping your dynamo'd built wheel, along with wires and light fittings, between bikes?

if i were to start looking into getting one i'd kind of like to use the one wheel and light with two bikes, but this might be a tad impractical?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Swapping the wheel itself is trivial, but you'd want dynamo lights on each bike. Unplug, swap wheel, plug in.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Lumen wrote: »
    Swapping the wheel itself is trivial, but you'd want dynamo lights on each bike. Unplug, swap wheel, plug in.

Cheers for that lumen, reckoned it might be a bit messy changing everything over each time, but was living in hope!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Depends on how the lights are fixed to the bike, I had a nub which meant I unscrewed that with the wheel, only took an extra 3 minutes.

Moved its position to above the brakeks, made it a bit more awkward but not imposssible, just an extra 5 to 10, depending on bike geometry to undo the calipers to get the attachment off, if you had a spare attachment on each bike the light would have been easier to switch.

I have a DH 3N80, so the light unplugs really easy if needed, some of the other types tell you to solder but the Shimano way off holding the connection seems great.

Do you both have a mount attached to the fork crown or somewhere other than a handlebar mount?

What if one was to get two handlebar mounts, or would that still lead to a load of faffing about with wires (i presume you need to wrap cables around the fork)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

If you only want to run a front lamp and mounted it on the fork blade/crown it would be fairly quick to change over, some re-usable cable ties to keep the wiring tidy would help speed things up.

And Grock I presume you're only considering a SON hub;)

• Advertisement

Holyboy wrote: »
    If you only want to run a front lamp and mounted it on the fork blade/crown it would be fairly quick to change over, some re-usable cable ties to keep the wiring tidy would help speed things up.

yep...drool.

someday, it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine....

have to get a functioning bike to put it on first though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Holyboy wrote: »

SNOB

The new Shimanos are supposedly equivalent in resistance to the SONs, not sure about lifetime yet but i will get back to you.

Advertisement