Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non alcohol beer prices

Options
  • 17-02-2012 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

Perhaps there is someone here who knows; why is non-alcoholic beer the same price as beer when there would be no alcohol duty, and why can I not buy it from a 17 year old in Tesco at 09:00 on a Sunday?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

1. Greed/market forces.
    2. Ignorance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

3. Poor data management (it gets classed as an alcoholic beverage on the stock system)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

why is non-alcoholic beer the same price as beer when there would be no alcohol duty,
    I think it costs more to make it, as they brew normal beer and then have to take the alcohol out.

In pubs a 500ml of NA is usually cheaper per ml than branded soft drinks. 500ml of coke in my local costs over €7. I think scheweppes lemonade might be over €11 for 500ml!

Recently I was hearing campaigners for min alcohol pricing moaning that it costed less than bottled water. -I think they should have been more concerned about the high price of the water -and asking for max prices for water!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Becks NA in the Laughter Lounge last night was 5.50
    That is by far the most I've spent on an NA.
    It's pure greed to charge what they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

nearly all places i've worked didn't have a separate button on the till for it.

ie erdinger na is clocked in as normal erdinger etc

price wise non alco beers are about 20% less than the alcoholic version (easy to check when in an off licence) so no excuse for charging full whack, other than laziness if that counts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Where I work Becks NA is 89c, which is quite reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I paid 3.70 for 33cl of Bavavir NA in a pub last week.

Too dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

grenache wrote: »

Is that of Off Licence or a pub? When I was off drink at the start of the year to save money, I was paying about 5 euro a bottle in the brog before I realised it. It was actually far cheaper to drink real beer than NA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

BeerNut wrote: »
    3. Poor data management (it gets classed as an alcoholic beverage on the stock system)

With Tesco it might have something to do with keeping people out of the alcohol aisle were non-alcohol beer is displayed outside of off-license hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Yes Non Alcoholic beer is cheaper to import, cheaper to sell(by importer/wholesaler than Alcoholic version) and should be cheaper to buy as a customer(at the other side of the bar).

Think about the usual popular two out there.

Erdinger & Erdinger N/A
    Paulaner & Paulaner N/A

Both the Non Alcoholic products have a small bit of alcohol in them so attract import duty but N/A is less than the other.

Why can you not them in Tesco at 9am on a Sunday by a 17year old? It could the same way a 66 year old couldn't sell you it at 10:29am on a Friday morning. The systems themselves are on lock down and those products WILL NOT scan. The same applies in Spar/Eurospar.

On Non Alcoholic Beer prices. Some publicans are fairly good with pricing and some are just greedy. Off Licenses are invariably always around the same. €2 for a 500ml bottle and about €5-€6 for a 6 pack of 330mls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

NA costs more to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

happyman81 wrote: »
    NA costs more to make.

but it attracts no duty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

Tigger wrote: »
    but it attracts no duty

And it is sold in a free market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

happyman81 wrote: »
    And it is sold in a free market.

yup but the pubs don't like that, minimum pricing for offsales ain't free market.
    thats why i don't bother drinking the 6 or 7 na beer i'd have if they were priced right when i'm driving.

pubs need to cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

grenache wrote: »

Is that of Off Licence or a pub? When I was off drink at the start of the year to save money, I was paying about 5 euro a bottle in the brog before I realised it. It was actually far cheaper to drink real beer than NA.
    Off licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Perhaps there is someone here who knows; why is non-alcoholic beer the same price as beer
    For the same reason a soft drink costs more than beer. Because people will pay it.

Advertisement