Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this a fair price for a 2008 C-Max Auto?

Options
  • 17-02-2012 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Just wondering what ye think of this price for a car I’m interested in. The car is from a dealer with 3 month warranty.
    It’s got the 2.0 tdci engine with an automatic gearbox (quite hard to find)

It’s a ex hertz car so only one owner on the logbook.

Mileage is 80K miles

Car looks in great condition with 2 year NCT.

His looking for 9k with no trade in. What ye think ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

A rule of thumb states a car should halve it's value every three years. The price seems fair enough, if the car is in good condition.

Get it inspected and get a warranty and happy motoring.

(And you'll always get someone who will tell you you should get something else, something cheaper, etc, but do your own thing and best of luck.)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Gophur wrote: »
    A rule of thumb states a car should halve it's value every three years. The price seems fair enough, if the car is in good condition.
    If that were the case then every car would depreciate by the same percentage - which they don't!

@OP - I presume that's the car in Webb Motors? Sandyford Motors have one too, have you looked at both? There's also one in Dan Seaman Motors in Cork - he's asking more, but the mileage is a lot lower. It strikes me as strange that none of these cars has any mention of a service history - I wouldn't be buying anything with that kind of mileage without FSH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Just be careful buying ex rental as the people that are driving them usually abuse them so just make sure has everything correct as I have seen some that have been clocked because some places dont keep a correct mileage record but sounds like a good car for price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Barr

Anan1 wrote: »
    If that were the case then every car would depreciate by the same percentage - which they don't!

@OP - I presume that's the car in Webb Motors? Sandyford Motors have one too, have you looked at both? There's also one in Dan Seaman Motors in Cork - he's asking more, but the mileage is a lot lower. It strikes me as strange that none of these cars has any mention of a service history - I wouldn't be buying anything with that kind of mileage without FSH.

Them are they ;) They are both ex Hertz who seem to do their servicing in-house so there would be no real documented history as such.

Right Price Cars and Bill Griffen motors had two last week which sold for €8500 :mad: They were both gone by the time I'd made my mind up.

Dan Seamans Motors is an extra €2250 with a smaller engine. Drove it last week but can't justify the extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

A friend just bought (last week) a CMax 1.8 08, 75k kms, 12 month warranty, from a non Ford main dealer for 8000.

• Advertisement

El Kabong! wrote: »
    A friend just bought (last week) a CMax 1.8 08, 75k kms, 12 month warranty, from a non Ford main dealer for 8000.

Was it a petrol or diesel ?

If that were the case then every car would depreciate by the same percentage - which they don't!................

What part of "rule of thumb" do you not understand? :rolleyes:

(It really is irritating to be pulled up on pretty much every post, by the way. "ignore" list has been updated.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

(It really is irritating to be pulled up on pretty much every post, by the way. "ignore" list has been updated.)
    Everyone pulls each other up on this forum, it's just how you let it affect you that matters. :)

barura wrote: »
    Everyone pulls each other up on this forum, it's just how you let it affect you that matters. :)

Not everyone, and I have no objection to being pulled up, but there are one or two who feel obliged to counter far too much of what I post.

The ignore list has been updated. :D

It wouldn't be so bad if there was value, merit or intelligence , but when it's contradiction for contradiction's sake it's too much.

Just be careful buying ex rental as the people that are driving them usually abuse them so just make sure has everything correct as I have seen some that have been clocked because some places dont keep a correct mileage record but sounds like a good car for price

Hope a company like Hertz would not be clocking cars :eek: It would be very unlikely. (I hope)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

Barr wrote: »
    Was it a petrol or diesel ?
    Sorry, petrol.

I understand the low tax diesel + auto might command a premium. I'm just letting you know for comparison.

Not everyone, and I have no objection to being pulled up, but there are one or two who feel obliged to counter far too much of what I post.

The ignore list has been updated. :D

It wouldn't be so bad if there was value, merit or intelligence , but when it's contradiction for contradiction's sake it's too much.
    Honestly, you're being way oversensitive. This is a place for us all to learn, far more knowledgable people than you or I get corrected all the time. If you think i'm having a go at you personally then you're very much mistaken. I'm just trying to help the OP:)

Them are they ;) They are both ex Hertz who seem to do their servicing in-house so there would be no real documented history as such.
    I wouldn't be overly happy about that, TBH. Maybe i'm being unreasonable (they probably were regularly serviced), but if you've no trade-in then it might make more sense to wait for a well cared for private sale?

I wouldn't be overly happy about that, TBH. Maybe i'm being unreasonable (they probably were regularly serviced), but if you've no trade-in then it might make more sense to wait for a well cared for private sale?

In normal circumstances I would agree. Trouble is they are very few about I’ve been on the lookout for a month and never seen one as a private sale yet.

In normal circumstances I would agree. Trouble is they are very few about I’ve been on the lookout for a month and never seen one as a private sale yet.
    That's a ways the way, three more will be along as soon as you buy one..

That's a ways the way, three more will be along as soon as you buy one..

True , If anyone out there is thinking of selling their C-Max - do it quickly before I buy off a garage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

80k miles? Presumably its come from the UK so?

80k miles? Presumably its come from the UK so?

Nope, its an Irish car day one. Why do you reckon it came from the UK?

Nope, its an Irish car day one. Why do you reckon it came from the UK?

You said it has 80k miles. If its Irish it would be reading in km's.

You said it has 80k miles. If its Irish it would be reading in km's.

Thats just me converting it :) I assume the clocks in KM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,054 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Well, thing is, I use rules of thumb all the time and they apply more or less to most situations. But sometimes it is very clear from the start that a certain situation is an exception to the rule

A C-Max is a tall modern SUV crossover. These cars are in vogue and as such keep their value way better than most other cars. Add to that it is a frugal diesel with low motor tax...

Looks like a pretty decent deal to me, although I too would be worried about lack of service history

unkel wrote: »
    Well, thing is, I use rules of thumb all the time and they apply more or less to most situations. But sometimes it is very clear from the start that a certain situation is an exception to the rule

A C-Max is a tall modern SUV crossover. These cars are in vogue and as such keep their value way better than most other cars. Add to that it is a frugal diesel with low motor tax...

Looks like a pretty decent deal to me, although I too would be worried about lack of service history

SUV crossover? Ford might think that but its an MPV. I cant see anything even vaguely SUV about it.

Advertisement