Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Accord Sir-T

Options
  • 17-02-2012 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy Chaps,

Need some advice here. Friend of mine is trying to convince me to buy a 98-00 Honda Accord Sir-t as im getting a little bored of my underpowered corolla. They are a very pretty car and i cant really afford to buy the newer ones as they're still sitting in and around 10-12k

So i need some advice for anyone whos owned one or knows something about them. My questions are;
    • Are they economical? I drive about 85km a day to and from work.
    • Whats the tax for a 1.9 car?
    • Insurance wise what are they like to insure?
    • Any outstanding issues with them? (known issues, repair problems)
    • Anything I should look out for in particular when buying one?
    Cheers for the help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

They are 2.0 not 1.9 they are a jap import do expect a bit of frownage from insurers. They have seats that only a granny could love. Go for the euro r instead, much nicer looking, quicker and a much nicer interior with recaro seats. The tax is about 200 more but it's only 200 and your getting to drive a more superior car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Euro Rs are quite rare or incredily expensive from the places ive been looking.

Not really, they are going for around 3 - 3.5k maybe less if your good at haggling. There's plenty of them on donedeal. I had one for a few years, great car.

Whats the tax on them like?

Mid 800's I think, not a whole lot more than the sir-t in fairness.

• Advertisement

Thats not bad, I was expecting over 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Insurance could be an issue; most companies I spoke with hadnt a clue what an Sir-T was! In most cases if its not on their system they dont want to know, and coupled with the fact that they are evil imports you could have fun trying to get a quote.

Never owned one but test drove a few and loved them. I was going from a 98 1.8 Accord at the time so I liked the fact that it had the comfort of my old Accord and a lot more power to go with it.

djimi wrote: »
    Insurance could be an issue; most companies I spoke with hadnt a clue what an Sir-T was! In most cases if its not on their system they dont want to know, and coupled with the fact that they are evil imports you could have fun trying to get a quote.

Never owned one but test drove a few and loved them. I was going from a 98 1.8 Accord at the time so I liked the fact that it had the comfort of my old Accord and a lot more power to go with it.

I heard only a certain amount of insurers will cover JAP imports. Tesco is one of them. Good news is im with them currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

You'd be much better off going for a UK spec Accord Type R, cheap these days, they are rare, look stunning, great to drive, nice spec including recaros and cheaper to insure than a jap import, bad points are they'll be harder to find here and they are 2.2 litre so slightly more expensive tax at €885.

Full-9540274.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2911382

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Jap Euro Rs look better than that accord tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

shblob wrote: »
    Jap Euro Rs look better than that accord tbh

Cl7's maybe but they're way out of the OP's budget by the sounds of things, Cl1 Torneo/Euro R's are essentially the same but less subtle

picture.php?albumid=14837&pictureid=29532

Advertisement