Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help with Insurance claim

Options
  • 17-02-2012 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

help please insurance ?
    Hello folks a quick question regarding insurance payouts.

I reversed into my sister inlaws car and can`t afford to pay for repairs as out of work. So I proceeded to inquire about claiming. I had to get a quote from a registered mechanic, but having seen there quote of 1400 euro to mend three panels, one on my own car two on the other car.

I am worried that there high cost will leave me paying for it for a few years through higher insurance. My own mechanic who is not registered but works in the evenings at home who says he can mend the 2 cars for half that.
    I have no choice but go through an insurance claim, but don`t want to claim that amount.

My question is who is the check made out to on a claim like this, is it the registered mechanic or to the Policy holder, ie myself. Only asking as i`d rather get it done cheaper and possibly return left over cash to insurers, hoping to keep insurance down for next year. This is my first accident in 11 yrs driving. Never had this stress before.

Thanks for looking any help is much appreciated .
    Micheal.confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Your sister in law will claim off your insurance and receive a check made out to her. You will claim off your insurance and receive a check made out to you.
    Bear in mind you have at least a few hundred euro excess on your side of things, I'd be claiming for the full amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

You should be able to contact the assessor directly, tell him/her that the injured party (your sister in-law) wants the work done by "X garage" (your mechanic) as that person has done all the previous work for her. Once you tell the assessor that its working out at half the price, i cant see them having a problem.
    The size of the claim will effect your future premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bokofinn

Senna wrote: »
    You should be able to contact the assessor directly, tell him/her that the injured party (your sister in-law) wants the work done by "X garage" (your mechanic) as that person has done all the previous work for her. Once you tell the assessor that its working out at half the price, i cant see them having a problem.
    The size of the claim will effect your future premiums.

Thanks for lie help . I'm glad to know that, because the quote is too much.
    As long as payment is not made to the quote giver I can talk to insurers about cheaper price. Thanks again

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Your sister in law will claim off your insurance and receive a check made out to her. You will claim off your insurance and receive a check made out to you.
    Bear in mind you have at least a few hundred euro excess on your side of things, I'd be claiming for the full amount.

Thank you for reply. That helps a lot as I was worried that the garage would be getting lie cheque

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

bokofinn wrote: »
    As long as payment is not made to the quote giver I can talk to insurers about cheaper price. Thanks again

Firstly, have you checked that your sister in law is happy with getting her car fixed by some part time mechanic? I wouldn't be, certainly not if it was through insurance.
    Secondly, how can the mechanic submit a quote if he is not registered?

• Advertisement

Jimdagym wrote: »

Firstly, have you checked that your sister in law is happy with getting her car fixed by some part time mechanic? I wouldn't be, certainly not if it was through insurance.
    Secondly, how can the mechanic submit a quote if he is not registered?

She is happy to get it fixed . My own mechanic works for the firm I got quote from, he just moonlights as well. So the job will be a good one. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

why does the size of claim affect your renewal price? either you have no claims bonus or you dont

dharn wrote: »
    why does the size of claim affect your renewal price? either you have no claims bonus or you dont

Punishment for claiming . Your insurance price will rise for the following years . I half eleven years without claim but that will go out the window as soon as I claim. I. Think?

dharn wrote: »

Punishment for claiming . Your insurance price will rise for the following years . I half eleven years without claim but that will go out the window as soon as I claim. I. Think?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

She is happy to get it fixed . My own mechanic works for the firm I got quote from, he just moonlights as well. So the job will be a good one. Thanks

Does he have a paint booth?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Is your NCB protected? Usually, you can protect it after 4 years no claims.

Check your policy.

Del2005 wrote: »

Does he have a paint booth?

Yes

Advertisement