Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pick my grandad a car.

Options
  • 16-02-2012 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭

My grandad has decided to change his car. His back isn't what it used to be and his Volvo is too low off the ground for his liking anymore. That's the main reason for a change to something of an SUV height.

Criteria:

Height of ground.

>5000 Euros including trade in.

>2liters or so (petrol or diesel? Doesn't really matter. Swaying towards the former as better spec will be had in these diesel loving times)

> Something with a bit of comfort.

Not too long. Nothing like discovery size please.

I'm thinking towards the Honda CR-V or Hyandai Tuscon but is there anymore ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Matthewjohn

How much is hos trade in worth? And you should also add the rav 4 and the hyundai Santa fe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

How much is hos trade in worth? And you should also add the rav 4 and the hyundai Santa fe

Trade in is worth about 1000 euro in current condition. The Santa Fe is too big for his liking and the Rav 4 was thrown out due to the tiny boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would not even bother trading in a €1000 car. Better off selling it privately and buy the new car as a cash customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

C-Max? Possibly way too long though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will not find a decent CRV diesel for €5k and they are all 2.2 litre. Better value in the petrol ones:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=613261901607550

If he isn't doing alot of mileage then I would be looking at something like a petrol Toyota Rav4, not the worst on petrol:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1913280191871940

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Matthewjohn

Nissan x trail not too big, comfortable good on diesel and great on/off road
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Nissan/X-Trail/2.2-ELEG/1813283531529650/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

5 door Rav4 has a big boot.

YOu can make it bigger by sliding the rear seats forward, bigger again by tumbling the seats, and bigger again by removing them altogether.

That said, the seats are old-skool Japanese, i.e small, unsupportive with no lumbar support to speak of and no real height adjustment

(assuming the 00-06 model here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

How about a Ford Fusion? Nice riding position and easy to get into?

Fusion was actually the first car I thought of when I saw the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Suzuki Ignis or SX4 which can be got in 4WD if wanted.
    SX4 is a great drive as well, easy in and easy out for older people if his back is anything like mine and Im a young enough 'un.
    Cheap cheerful and reliable,

• Advertisement

kupus wrote: »
    Suzuki Ignis or SX4 which can be got in 4WD if wanted.
    SX4 is a great drive as well, easy in and easy out for older people if his back is anything like mine and Im a young enough 'un.
    Cheap cheerful and reliable,
    Also known as the Fiat Sedici if that turns up no finds.

If the boot in the rav4 isn't big enough, then a Fiat 16 isn't gonna be much good.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If the boot in the rav4 isn't big enough, then a Fiat 16 isn't gonna be much good.
    Fiat 16? Edit: Just googled, aren't I silly! :P

4 X 4 = Sedici

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Honda CR-V looks like the safest bet here.

He doesn't do many miles anymore, maybe 7k miles a year, though he still drives a diesel, a relic of times when he did big mileages.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

how about a suzuki vitara,
    This one is over budget but worth a look them.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3022956

Those seats aren't gonna be that supportive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

Friend of mine changed his octavia to a vitara with the same complaint as the op and he is very happy with the suzuki.

Advertisement