Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

convert from Petrol to Diesel ????

Options
  • 16-02-2012 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'm wondering if there's any way to replace a petrol engine with a diesel and what other work and cost is involved??...was offered a Ford Explorer with 4.5ltr petrol engine which of course must cost a small fortune to run....and I Thought maybe I could get a Transit or Mondeo engine or similiar into it??....Any Ideas anyone??...Is it possible???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bear in mind it probably weighs over 2000kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There's a 3.2 Diesel that might be big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I doubt it's a simple case of sticking an engine and gearbox in, you'd almost certainly have to replace the ECU and perhaps even the exhaust system (cat) and do a bit of rewiring for heater plugs, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I'd forget it. You'd need a big diesel to haul a lump like that around. How old is it, presumably it's an auto? You'd need a conversion plate for the bell housing at least and if it's not that old the autobox is probably computer controlled, even if it isn't it will be valved wrongly for a diesel.

Just checked, Explorer not been sold in the UK market since 2002.

There's a UK forum for the Explorer and other Ford yokes http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=89

• Registered Users Posts: 23 zeteckiller

you'll have plenty of room to physically fit the engine anyway, the problems will arise with wiring, gearbox, driveshafts, fuel system and all the other bits and bobs to make the thing move.

shopping list.....
    suitable engine complete with ecu, wiring loom and all the ancillaries (alternator, turbo etc.)
    gearbox,
    driveshaft, probably will have to be custom made to suit.
    fuel tank, fuel lines and filter head & filter.
    fabricated custom mountings for engine and transmission.
    modified exhaust to suit.

that's the main stuff. there's plenty of other stuff depending on the engine and gearbox you choose and whether you go 2wd only or 4wd. the existing gearbox probably wouldn't fit the new engine so thats an extra expense, plus having to fit a clutch pedal if going from auto to manual.

its the sort of project that would be really cool if you did it but you'd need the patience of a saint and deep pockets.

best of luck with it if you do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

you'll have plenty of room to physically fit the engine anyway, the problems will arise with wiring, gearbox, driveshafts, fuel system and all the other bits and bobs to make the thing move.

shopping list.....
    suitable engine complete with ecu, wiring loom and all the ancillaries (alternator, turbo etc.)
    gearbox, clutch kit, clutch pedal and release mechanism.
    driveshaft, probably will have to be custom made to suit.
    fuel tank, fuel lines and filter head & filter.
    fabricated custom mountings for engine and transmission.
    modified exhaust to suit.

that's the main stuff. there's plenty of other stuff depending on the engine and gearbox you choose and whether you go 2wd only or 4wd.

its the sort of project that would be really cool if you did it but you'd need the patience of a saint and deep pockets.

best of luck with it if you do it.

Might not be possible with this particular model ut surely the easiest way to to it would be to go as simple as possible from the same model so if its an auto petrol, go auto diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dubguffer

Ehh...sounds like too big a job...A lot more too it than I expected>>>Am glad I asked though...thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Get it converted to LPG.. the obvious choice. Fuel at 69-89c a litre and you get to drive decent engine (I assume its got to a lot nicer than some god aweful old van diesel engine).

At EUR1500 to convert, its a lot cheaper (and easier and insurance friendly) than what you propose.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 zeteckiller

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Get it converted to LPG.. the obvious choice. Fuel at 69-89c a litre and you get to drive decent engine (I assume its got to a lot nicer than some god aweful old van diesel engine).

At EUR1500 to convert, its a lot cheaper (and easier and insurance friendly) than what you propose.

thats a good idea, certainly easier than trying to shoehorn a foreign engine and drivetrain into the yoke. the €1700 a year in tax would be a crippler though. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

go for pre 98 or so diesel and all you will need for engine to run is power and diesel. have converted few cars in past

• Advertisement
Advertisement