Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So I was looking at VW's american website...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

There
    2.5 170bhp, 3dr for €13,700. How bad.

Here

1.2 60hp 3dr polo, €15,920....Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

There
    2.5 170bhp, 3dr for €13,700. How bad.

Here

1.2 60hp 3dr polo, €15,920....Sigh.

170hp is a disgracefully low amount of power from a 2.5l. I see they get TeeDeeEye engine options as well. I wonder has the gospel of 'felt spread over there yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

170hp is a disgracefully low amount of power from a 2.5l.

23/33 mpg

Sure why bother with smaller engines for the grannies to tootle about in when you can keep burning an every diminishing resource as quick as possible.

Of course it is, but not as disgracefull as €16k for a 60hp polo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Torque?

• Advertisement

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Torque?

177 @ 4250rpm.

To put in context, the 2.0TDi puts down 236 @ 1750

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

I wonder if it "sounds just like a golf":cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

170hp is a disgracefully low amount of power from a 2.5l. I see they get TeeDeeEye engine options as well. I wonder has the gospel of 'felt spread over there yet?

I used to drive a 3.4L V6 Chevy Impala.....that had 180hp!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Not this again. The capacity of an engine is a regional design thing, its largely irrelevant what CC it is, the figure you are meant to be looking at is their baseline engine is actually decently powerful.. in a country with lower speed limits than here. There is no inherent value in having tiny, stressed little engines. If you want a 170bhp entry level engine without a government imposed tax wall, the better engine is for sure this 2.5.

Imagine introducing them to the rattley 3pot piece of crap we call a Polo engine, let alone the poverty spec TDI engines? Oh but we have more BHP per CC... :pac:
    177 @ 4250rpm.

To put in context, the 2.0TDi puts down 236 @ 1750
    How is that a context? The comparison should be to the 60bhp (isnt it 75bhp now?) entry VW engine.
    By comparison the T[urbo]DI you mentioned is more expensive and vastly more complicated, weighs more, sounds like a cement mixer and drives like a JCB. While belching out noxious black smoke. Its not superior, it exists due to taxation on fuel products. The Americans can get some TDIs, but they fail testing in most states and only very specifically tuned models make it there at all. They have home grown Turbo Diesels, but they are much bigger (in CC and size), designed for Light to Heavy Trucks.

Besides, the TDI puts down 236 at 1750 and pretty much nothing anywhere else.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Not this again. The capacity of an engine is a regional design thing, its largely irrelevant what CC it is, the figure you are meant to be looking at is their baseline engine is actually decently powerful.. in a country with lower speed limits than here.

Imagine introducing them to the rattley 3pot piece of crap we call a Polo engine, let alone the poverty spec TDI engines? Oh but we have more BHP per CC... :pac:

I'm well aware of the regional design considerations. They need to discover the 1.9tdi with more torque than a military tank :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'm well aware of the regional design considerations. They need to discover the 1.9tdi with more torque than a military tank :P

....US diesel is historically poor in quality, and high in sulphur content, so a lot of modern stuff won't stay running over there, for long..........

Mind you, it's changing: Porsche have officially launched the Cayenne Diesel in the US now........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Matt Simis wrote: »

The comparison should be to the 60bhp (isnt it 75bhp now?) entry VW engine.

The Diesels are 75 alright but the entry petrol is still only 60

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The Diesels are 75 alright but the entry petrol is still only 60

I cannot even visualise how terrible they must be.

Advertisement