Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rear wheel locked up on my 99 polo

Options
  • 16-02-2012 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

Hi all, The rear wheel locked up on my 99 6n polo it will move forward 1 foot and back 1 foot but its like hitting a wall in each direction (hand brake not on). It seems like the drum in the back wheel is locked, when i jacked the car up the wheel would only move small forward and small back but when i loosened the nuts holding the wheel it freed it up -(enough to move the car out of the way of my neighbours driveway) but now tightened up same problems again ... Any help welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Sounds like the part of the lining has come off the shoe and is getting wedged between the lining / shoe and the drum. Get someone to take off the drum and have a look at what's going on in there. It will likely be fairly obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Thanks ill open the drum up in the morning and have a goo and if needs b ill post pics but hopefully its and obvious/easy fix ... any more info/help welcome

I opened up the drum today and had a look there was grinding on a part of the mechanism and its where the nuts holding the spare wheel on were screwed in too far and where catching on the drum ???:confused: - I had a puncture and took off the new alloy and put on the factory steel wheel it seems the nuts are too long for that wheel and are catching in the drum. When I fit the new alloy wheel (puncture fixed) all is good but what if I get a puncture then I cant use the spare wheel because the nuts are too long?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

dickwod1 wrote: »
    I opened up the drum today and had a look there was grinding on a part of the mechanism and its where the nuts holding the spare wheel on were screwed in too far and where catching on the drum ???:confused: - I had a puncture and took off the new alloy and put on the factory steel wheel it seems the nuts are too long for that wheel and are catching in the drum. When I fit the new alloy wheel (puncture fixed) all is good but what if I get a puncture then I cant use the spare wheel because the nuts are too long?

Looks like you'll need a set of bolts that are the right length to be used to fit your spare wheel.

Yeah thats what ill do, Thanks for your help :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement