Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Swimming Pool

Options
  • 16-02-2012 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Anyone know when this is due to open? Previously I heard 1st of May but that was early last year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭paulmorro

I heard some Olympic swimming teams had to move camp due to incompletion so I'm guessing May is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lorcan122

Should be opening late April, they are filling it and making sure all the filters are working properly, that is what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭paulmorro

Sports Centre staff think late June with pre orders on discounted membership starting in a month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Swimmertastic

Anyone know if general public may use the pool in ucd? And if so how much will it cost? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

Anyone know if general public may use the pool in ucd? And if so how much will it cost? Thanks

No general public use. Members only with pay as you use for students only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Swimmertastic

griffin100 wrote: »

No general public use. Members only with pay as you use for students only.

Thanks, can anyone become a member?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nathanl

I was at an open day there this week. It will be open from Monday (25th June). Yes, any member of the public can join. I was quoted 800EUR for public single membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭johnboyire

no pool only memberships available to members of the public full membership is needed for pool access

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I checked out this place yesterday.
    Parking was nearby difficult even tho it was 'quiet' time of year. Later I discovered new and underused car park to rear of new complex. Plenty of bike places in front.

Different membership packages:
    Students of UCD, free to use gym but extra 100 Euro for pool access
    Staff of UCD .. c 450 ?
    Alumni of UCD ...c 500+?
    All others.... 800?

Also an extra payment to avail of private changing area (no need to mingle in communal areas with students:)) and to have reserved parking spot.

Changing areas are mixed, male and female, with individual cubicles for changing and showering. Lockers for clothes that need a padlock.

Membership is for 7 days a week and all day. No restricted times save for students who are not allowed in between 6 and 8 pm. I am not sure how pool can be used for water polo etc and allow for casual swimmers at the same time. Depth of pool is variable up to 2 metres but not suitable for diving.

There was no 'pay as you go' access and no 'one month/three month' etc deals. No mention of deal for changing from membership of another facility, no 'aged' discount, no off peak rate. With the amount of visitors even tourists using the accommodation blocks and conferences, I think some short term deal should be worked out.

Pool is lovely but not overly impressed by spa like features alongside, bit over the top and could live without them. More suitable for 5* hotel.

Gym is included in membership and swimming use cannot be separated. Access to Gym is via stairs/lift in main entrance area so not internally connected to pool. There will be a coffee area in few months near main door. Wifi available.

They seem busy enough with enquiries. I guess no need to advertise generally as pent up interest and word of mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Any UCD members here? I'm thinking of joining for a few months, looking to use it a couple of mornings (7-8am) a week. I'm just wondering what the setup is like that times of days. Are there many lanes booked by clubs? How busy would the public lanes be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Any UCD members here? I'm thinking of joining for a few months, looking to use it a couple of mornings (7-8am) a week. I'm just wondering what the setup is like that times of days. Are there many lanes booked by clubs? How busy would the public lanes be?

I'm there twice a week on a Monday and on Friday 7 - 8. There is plenty of space and next to no congestion. Three lanes are used by tri clubs and that's pretty much it.

It's a super pool and facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I'm also thinking of joining. I would be using it only in the evenings. Does anyone know how busy the pool is in the evenings? Don't mind sharing lanes but I was in the pool in Rathmines last week and you could move with the amount of people in it!

Are the membership prices still the same as quoted above?

Finally, what's the parking like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I'm also thinking of joining. I would be using it only in the evenings. Does anyone know how busy the pool is in the evenings? Don't mind sharing lanes but I was in the pool in Rathmines last week and you could move with the amount of people in it!

Are the membership prices still the same as quoted above?

Finally, what's the parking like?

If swimming early in the mornings or evenings you will have to share lanes but remember its a 50m pool, even with 10 of you in the lane you will each have 10m of space ;) I've been swimming in it since it opened, usually around or just after lunchtime, and I've never had to share with more than 3-4 others, even when lanes were closed for kids lessons.

Parking in UCD is sh1te during the day but in the evening is not too bad. You will get parking but not necessarily close to the pool. If you get the expensive membership package you do get access to some reserved parking spaces that are available to members only on a first come first served basis.

I've also sent you a PM.

If anyone's thinking of joining at their moment, their joining fee is reduced from €200 to €50 at the moment (think that's just until the end of Jan)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭swimmer_hoop

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Every evening Mon -Thurs from 5-7 the Swim Team has 4 lanes booked & 3 more from 7-8:30. On Friday there are 4 lanes booked from 4-8. There should always be at least 3 lanes available for open swimming at all times afaik & as pointed out even if it's busy the pool has 2.5m wide 50m lanes so there's always room to manoeuvre.

I was in the pool from 7-8 last night.

Of the 8 lanes, about 2 were swim lessons, 3 for some swim team (or maybe more lessons), and 3 open for everyone.

Of the 3 open, I'd say 7 people in the slow lane, 7 in the medium, and 5 in the fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Ernest Oreo

thats on the busy side, imo
    7 people in a 50m lane is prob 2 too many
    unless all are moving pretty much at the same pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

7 people in a 50m lane is a small number. That works out at 14m space per swimmers. If the speeds are different, for the fact the lanes are 2.5m wide, a 3rd swimmer can easily & safely overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭swimmer_hoop

7 people in a 50m pool is far from too many. Unless in a training group and you're doing 100's on 1:10 and leaving a 10sec gap it's perfectly manageable.

I would imagine you'd struggle to find another pool in Dublin which gives that much room at that time of the day.

Advertisement