Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuring a cl500 for a 29 year old?

Options
  • 16-02-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know of what insurers are best to look at for the above and any tips to getting a reasonable premium? What sort of price should one expect?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Forget the 500, there was a nice 02 cl 600 on done deal up until yesterday, doh, missed it!!
    Insurance wise I think it might be a problem for you, try xsdirect with a large excess possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

diegowhite wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone know of what insurers are best to look at for the above and any tips to getting a reasonable premium? What sort of price should one expect?

Thanks

What prices have you been getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Hi,

Thanks

Just your age is not enough info to go on and even if you provided all relevant info the only people who can really answer your questions are the insurance companies. Have you tried 123.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes 123.ie should be cheapest provided you have full no claims, I'd say €5-600.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭diegowhite

Thanks for the replies, I'll give 123.ie a bell.

I saw the 600, for the marginal power increase it ain't worth the higher servicing costs (even though I am already taking a big risk with the 500). If it was a 03 with the 500bhp that would be a different story:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They are a fantastic machine just be sure you have the budget to throw at it. Insurance shown be the least of your worries tbh.
    I wouldnt chance one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Yes 123.ie should be cheapest provided you have full no claims, I'd say €5-600.

Could be a fair bit more than that - I'm 36 and paying just over €500 on a 735 fully comp.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Could be a fair bit more than that - I'm 36 and paying just over €500 on a 735 fully comp.

I'm 31 and got a quote for a 735 last week for €460, fully comp.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I'm 31 and got a quote for a 735 last week for €460, fully comp.

Nice one - with who?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I really would not worry about insurance on those. I would bet it would be harder to insure 1.6 type r civic, then 5.0l merc.

It was cheaper to insure 740 then 1.8 mx5 when I was 23 years old.

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Nice one - with who?

123.ie. I'm always playing the "how much would that cost me to insure game. Got a quote yesterday for an e39 525i for €384. For comparison, I paid €360 last year for a jaysusin 1.4 megane.

123.ie. I'm always playing the "how much would that cost me to insure game. Got a quote yesterday for an e39 525i for €384. For comparison, I paid €360 last year for a jaysusin 1.4 megane.

123 would be out for me. I could change over car 4/5 times over the course of the year to different stuff I might have for the weekend so that would negate any savings.

• Company Representative Posts: 69 Verified rep QuoteDevil: Graham

Hi,

Thanks

Give our guys a shout in QuoteDevil.ie we have some great deals at the moment especially for young drivers, powerful cars etc Basically anything that is out of the "standard risks" that other insurers are looking for we love!

There are a number of insurers that cater for non standard risks with different options available including increased policy excess etc.

Call the lads on 01 2541300 and mention Boards.ie and we will give you an extra discount.

Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

lomb wrote: »
    Forget the 500, there was a nice 02 cl 600 on done deal up until yesterday, doh, missed it!!
    Insurance wise I think it might be a problem for you, try xsdirect with a large excess possibly.

What would bother me immensely about at 2000-2002 CL600 is that the 2003+ model adds turbochargers to bring performance from a brisk 360bhp to a genuinely super fast 500bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Matt Simis wrote: »
    What would bother me immensely about at 2000-2002 CL600 is that the 2003+ model adds turbochargers to bring performance from a brisk 360bhp to a genuinely super fast 500bhp.

Have you driven one though? The CL500 I drove could only be described as a land yacht. It had ample power but was not suitable for cornering at all. The active body control felt all wrong but it was magnificent in a straight line. The looks truely are timeless and the CL600 even the 02 adds the v12 prestige and a few more toys as well as a suede leather headliner and extended leather on the dash which afaik was optional on the 500. At 7 grand it was almost disposable considering the initial purchase price! Id take a gamble on it if it drove well with no seen faults and service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

oh yes i love that game. today i got a quote for a vauxhall vxr8 fully comp €840. now wheres that loan application form:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

lomb wrote: »
    Have you driven one though? The CL500 I drove could only be described as a land yacht. It had ample power but was not suitable for cornering at all. The active body control felt all wrong but it was magnificent in a straight line. The looks truely are timeless and the CL600 even the 02 adds the v12 prestige and a few more toys as well as a suede leather headliner and extended leather on the dash which afaik was optional on the 500. At 7 grand it was almost disposable considering the initial purchase price! Id take a gamble on it if it drove well with no seen faults and service history.

Nope, but I like the idea of a 500bhp uncontrollable Merc. If you are happy with 300-350bhp and want a V12, a BMW 850i does all the above, handles much much better and costs a lot less than 7k.

Im all on for the 500bhp version, but without the turbos there are better options unless its dirt cheap (like under 4k).

Advertisement