Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain Registration

Options
  • 15-02-2012 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

If I were to register a domain now that I plan to use for a future sole trader business and I avail of the private registration feature (name and address hidden from public search) is it true that I don't actually own the domain when the private option is selected, rather the domain registrar is the owner and I basically lease it from them?

What are the legal implications in the future?

Can I use a different domain registration company when it is time to renew my claim to the domain address?

Looking for a recommendation for a reputable .com domain registrar.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

arbitrage wrote: »
    If I were to register a domain now that I plan to use for a future sole trader business and I avail of the private registration feature (name and address hidden from public search) is it true that I don't actually own the domain when the private option is selected, rather the domain registrar is the owner and I basically lease it from them?

What are the legal implications in the future?

Can I use a different domain registration company when it is time to renew my claim to the domain address?

Looking for a recommendation for a reputable .com domain registrar.

Thanks.

Afaik private registration is done with a proxy. You still own the domain.

Go with blacknight for your domain. Its Irish owned.

Do you have hosting for a website?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

You're asking if you don't own the domain because you've selected privacy options? I seriously, seriously doubt that would be the case for any of the popular TLDs.

Someone like Michele from Blacknight should be able to give you a definite answer.

Advertisement