Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaky filling?

Options
  • 15-02-2012 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know how you will know if you have a filling that is leaking? I take very good care of my teeth and get them cleaned at least twice a year. I went to the dentist recently and I was told that I have a few old fillings that need replacing, none of them urgent (no pain or anything) but the dentist just said to get them replaced sooner rather than later so that I won't end up having to deal with a crack or chip. There are three that need to be replaced and one is quite large so it will need a crown which I cant afford at the moment. Would it be worth my while to get the filling replaced with a new filling for the moment or a temporary filling or will that just end up irritating the nerve since it's a bit filling and I'll end up having to get the crown in the long run.

Also these fillings that need replacing, would I know if they were leaking and creating bad odours?

I would appreciate any advice. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

One way to know if your old filling is leaking is your tooth having a blueish color. It's better to get it seeing to sooner rather than later as there may be decay under the old filling it this reaches the nerve then you'll need root canal. I had the same issues as you, no pain or anything but a slight blue color, when the old(large black) filling was removed there was some decay under it, thankfully I didn't beed a root canal! I got a 'cerec' porcelain inlay(filling). Really happy with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Often even a dentist would need someone else to diagnose a leaking filling in their own mouth. Light, magnification, access, xrays... all factors in diagnosis.
    Bad odours tend to only be created where you have gum disease or a large cavity; basically where there is a lot of plaque/foodtrapping occurring.
    Bad toothache occurs when the decay is approaching the nerve of the tooth, or the nerve is starting to die.
    Old fillings leak& need replacement, even with the best care; it's the nature of the beast, nothing lasts forever.
    Don't have any treatment if you're dubious. If you're wary of your dentists' advise, have a checkup with a different dentist to get a second opinion. If they have an intra-oral camera, you'll even be able to see for yourself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ButterflyABC

I can see blue but I've always been able to see that as it's always been quite a large filling but I see what you mean. Definitely better to have it done before anything goes wrong I agree.

I definitely don't have any gum issues at all as the dentist even commented on how good my gums are and how much care of my teeth I take in general. It was a large cavity at one time that was filled so it's quite a large filling that's why I'm nervous to leave it as it could end up damaging the root.

I have had two dentists say the exact same thing in the past 6 months. One said that I have a couple of old fillings but not to worry as they seem to be working fine for now but they will need replacing at some point in the future and the other dentist said that I have a couple of old fillings and he wouldn't put it on the long finger to get them replaced before they create problems but they could last for ages more. I don't think either were trying to make money for themselves to be fair to them but I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment and am thinking if they might last another while without becoming tricky. One of the dentists did do x rays and said they are fine for now.

Advertisement