Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open days for children and adults

Options
  • 15-02-2012 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

I have a nephew who is obsessed with trains. He is 5 years old. I also am gaining an interest in them. I work on the line but cant seem to find any info on open days.

I heard a mention on one in Inchicore but no one seems to know much about it.

Would it suit a child? When does it take place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

There aren't regular Open Days at Inchicore and there's little enough to see up there anymore. However, if you're interested in visiting - and there's probably an age restriction - the Irish Railway Record Society http://www.irrs.ie/ usually organise a visit for members every year.

There aren't regular Open Days at Inchicore and there's little enough to see up there anymore. However, if you're interested in visiting - and there's probably an age restriction - the Irish Railway Record Society http://www.irrs.ie/ usually organise a visit for members every year.

I'm not sure if they've had one recently. The last one I know of was in 2009 but it was a shambles. So much so, that they booked York Road instead for 2010. I don't know if there was one last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Irish Rail don't anymore for sure. The last one in Inchicore was in 2009 and was for staff and families only while there was a one off Public show in 1996 as part of the 150 years of Inchicore Works celebration. The IRRS had a tour for it's members once a year but it was culled a couple of years back after some members took liberties and ran amok. If you want a more close up look then either a spin on the March RPSI shuttles or take him up to Downpatrick; I'm a working member up there so I can fill you in on the details there if you like.

Sadly the days of access all areas and try to be careful access in yards don't apply anymore due to H+S cultural tendencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Irish Rail don't anymore for sure. The last one in Inchicore was in 2009 and was for staff and families only while there was a one off Public show in 1996 as part of the 150 years of Inchicore Works celebration. The IRRS had a tour for it's members once a year but it was culled a couple of years back after some members took liberties and ran amok. If you want a more close up look then either a spin on the March RPSI shuttles or take him up to Downpatrick; I'm a working member up there so I can fill you in on the details there if you like.

Sadly the days of access all areas and try to be careful access in yards don't apply anymore due to H+S cultural tendencies.

Whats the age limit for the PTS coarse.. :P

Pitty. But if you have any info on Downpatrick I would be very grateful.

I have had the fantastic opportunity to have a walk around the yards in both Connolly and Heuston recently . Some parts are like walking into the past. I know some people would give there right arm to have a poke about. Its a pity there is no facility for enthusiasts to see the operations of the stations close up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm not sure if they've had one recently. The last one I know of was in 2009 but it was a shambles. So much so, that they booked York Road instead for 2010. I don't know if there was one last year.

I bet York Road was exciting. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

just found this. Looks like a great day out for the kids. I have not been to Cultra in years!
    http://www.irrs.ie/Journal%20176/No%2012%20CULTRA%20OUTING%20-%20BOOKING%20FORM.pdf

I was there myself. Started at Fortwilliam for a Powerpoint slideshow and a look at the running shed, C3Ks and condemned Gatwicks. Then went to YR for the 111s, a few 80s and 450s plus the never commissioned Gatwick control car. I had to grill the NIR guide about its lack of use, he just said they don't have the same experience and economies of scale with GMs that IE do... eh... doesn't justify buying something and never using it!

Not a whole lot there to be honest but NIR seemed much more accommodating than IE were in recent years.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Whats the age limit for the PTS coarse.. :P

Pitty. But if you have any info on Downpatrick I would be very grateful.

I have had the fantastic opportunity to have a walk around the yards in both Connolly and Heuston recently . Some parts are like walking into the past. I know some people would give there right arm to have a poke about. Its a pity there is no facility for enthusiasts to see the operations of the stations close up.

The basics of it are on www.downrail.co.uk Any more questions, ask away and I'll help you if I can. The next realistic running days are around Easter and Mayday weekend; they are open on St. Patrick's Day but it's bedlam up there and the roads in the town are closed with parade's so it's a non runner.

Walking the yard in Heuston and Connolly sounds like fun. The unfortunate thing is that some enthusiasts just can't be trusted around what are working lines and facilities and railway's can't take H+S risks with the few half doors out there; the results are out there to show this to be the case :(

It sure was. They loaded up an 80 class with bog roll, a can of Fanta was half full when it was in a bin while a conductor dropped a 2P coin and had to pick it up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

You're probably better off heading up to Downpatrick or across the water where there's loads of preserved lines to choose from. Locos sitting doing nowt aren't that exciting for kids. With cheap flights could be done in a weekend fairly handy or combined with a longer stay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

gsxr1 wrote: »
    just found this. Looks like a great day out for the kids. I have not been to Cultra in years!
    http://www.irrs.ie/Journal%20176/No%2012%20CULTRA%20OUTING%20-%20BOOKING%20FORM.pdf
    There's no mention to whats on the optional lunch menu. :p

Advertisement