Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxback when working in an EU country (Belgium)

Options
  • 15-02-2012 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to shed any light on the following:

I'm starting a new job in Belgium in March. My contract is for a year, though I think there's a possibility of staying on longer, if things work out. My query is this: can a citizen of one EU country claim tax back from another EU member state? I know that's it's possible to claim back tax paid in Australia or the US, but is my scenario different because both Ireland and Belgium are in the EU?

The income tax in Belgium is eye-wateringly high, so I'd like to know if I would be entitled to any of it back if I go back to Ireland at the end of the year.

Any assistance offered would be much appreciated.

El T
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The tax year in belgium is the same as Ireland, jan-dec. You would only get a refund if you worked less than the full year (and your tax was calculated assuming you would work full year). In other words, you would only get tax back if you overpaid.

Also note than in Belgium they pay 13 months of salary. Don't be a fool and quit in month 11 like I did, you will miss your bonus month then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You won't be tax resident in Ireland for the year.

So when you leave, you should tell Revenue that you're doing for the year, and they should give you back any tax you've paid here so far.

Re what happens there - that depends totally on their tax laws. AFAIK there are no links between the countries tax systems, apart from treaties (maybe the wrong word) saying you don't have to pay tax in two places.

hmmm ... I'm no expert though ... I think I'll move to this to the taxation formum, where hopefully they can give you better advice about the general situation (I believe they don't give individual advice).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Thanks for your replies guys, you've been very helpful.

Advertisement