Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ex Rental Car Fleet Auctions?

Options
  • 15-02-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Does anyone know when the next car auction from the likes of Hertz and Avis etc would be held ?
    Alot of the cars I’m looking at present seem to be all ex rental so I thought if I go direct there may be a bargain to be had :D

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say try the likes of Merlin and Windsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Merlin auctions in Naas are usually Wednesday night and Sat mornings.

Check their site. If u are goin on Saturday the list of cars they will have will be on the site on Fri at 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The way I see this is that the trade will pick up the decent ex-rental stuff to sell them on and let the abused and/or overpriced stuff to the inexperienced Joe Public.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

bazz26 wrote: »
    The way I see this is that the trade will pick up the decent ex-rental stuff to sell them on and let the abused and/or overpriced stuff to the inexperienced Joe Public.

My plan was to watch what the traders were bidding on at the auction then gazump them with a winning bid :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'd say try the likes of Merlin and Windsor.

Windsor don't do auctions.
    Barr wrote: »
    My plan was to watch what the traders were bidding on at the auction then gazump them with a winning bid :D

If the trade want it, the trade will buy it. If you bump up the price, you'll just end up paying near retail money for the car.

Hertz usually have 3 or 4 auctions a year, in house. Keep an eye on their website.

Remember, a lot of Hire Drives have buybacks attached. They go out for a fixed term, usually a year, and then go back to the supplier who can retail them on. That's why you won't see too many at auction, and quite a few on forecourts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭Casati

Windsor don't do auctions.

If the trade want it, the trade will buy it. If you bump up the price, you'll just end up paying near retail money for the car.

The trade will only pay what is worth to them- i.e. what they think they can sell it for less whatever money they will need to bring it to retail state less what profit they need to make. If the OP likes a car that the trade are keen on, then its probably worth more to him than it is to them- the trade won't bid up to retail on any car regardless how easy they think they can sell it on, so for the private buyer who knows the retail price of similar cars there can be bargains to be had

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Barr wrote: »

But how can you tell the traders from a Joe Soap looking to buy a car?

But how can you tell the traders from a Joe Soap looking to buy a car?

I'm sure the traders would be buying more than one at a time.

Hertz usually have 3 or 4 auctions a year, in house. Keep an eye on their website.

Remember, a lot of Hire Drives have buybacks attached. They go out for a fixed term, usually a year, and then go back to the supplier who can retail them on. That's why you won't see too many at auction, and quite a few on forecourts.

I checked the Hertz site but there is no mention of any of their cars for sale.

When I googled Hertz car auctions I found this interesting thread on Boards :D

Its something like this I was looking for

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056027197

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Auctions are a waste of time now. You will pay next to retail price and have no warranty or fuk all. Try the UK if you want to save money..

• Advertisement
Advertisement