Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(insert expletive here) IRISH LEAVING CERT ESSAY?

Options
  • 15-02-2012 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Does anyone have ANY tips at all for me here...how do you write an A-grade essay? (got a B last time, can't see how to improve, gah!) What sort of topics should I be focusing on for learning?

Tanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

80% is for language and 20% is for ideas. My teacher makes us redo them if we dont get A's and in my last one before I redid it, I got a B1. What improved it was using fancy phrases - they're pretty important :P Just copy notes straight from your book to ensure you get it correct. Its also useful to use sort of broad ideas that might fit more than one essay, e.g poverty essays should have ireland included but also include the third world in case it asks for something like "an international problem".

The essays we did are the state of the irish language today, poverty, presidents and sport/olympics. Pretty much covers you imo :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

What topic are you writing about? Like environment, recession..etc. You should look at this thread, I only saw it the other day but the phrases are quite good! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

The book Fiúntas has a few good phrases in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 biddy boop

Hi guys, I know this sounds a bit lazy/dodgy of me but any ideas where I can get hold of example essays, is fiuntus a good start? I'd pay for material eg classes/grinds... I'm 27 can't speak a word of Irish, did ordinary level in LC a decade ago, am lookin into goin back to college, want to repeat Irish this yr as a trial run, thinkin nxt yr will be more realistic for a decent grade!!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

biddy boop wrote: »
    Hi guys, I know this sounds a bit lazy/dodgy of me but any ideas where I can get hold of example essays, is fiuntus a good start? I'd pay for material eg classes/grinds... I'm 27 can't speak a word of Irish, did ordinary level in LC a decade ago, am lookin into goin back to college, want to repeat Irish this yr as a trial run, thinkin nxt yr will be more realistic for a decent grade!!
    http://www.mccgaeilge.com/Aist%ED%20-%20Essays%20-%20Proper.htm This site is pretty useful I found :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

You say that 80% is for language. I am in OL Irish and just looking for a D tbh. If I just learnt off an essay with brilliant irish and wrote it down, and it has nothing to do with the topic asked. Would I still get marks?

Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

The examiners love when people use modh chionniolach and when people get the tough grammer correct.Using stuff like Mà and Dà correctly will get you a lot of marks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

You say that 80% is for language. I am in OL Irish and just looking for a D tbh. If I just learnt off an essay with brilliant irish and wrote it down, and it has nothing to do with the topic asked. Would I still get marks?

Adam
    Yeah someone asked that in my class, but it just wouldnt happen. It has to relate somehow to the essay, and the marking scheme might be a little more leaning towards ideas for OL or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Your essay has to be somewhat relevant to the question asked. What I tend to do is write a good paragraph on the problem asked and then in my last sentence of the paragraph blame the government. Then I launch into a prepared piece on how terrible the government is. Works alright but you've got to refer to the question once per paragraph.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Given that paper 1 is now going to be focused almost entirely on the ceapadóireacht I'd say there'll be much less marks given to regurgitated essays with scant regard for the essay title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 biddy boop

biddy boop wrote: »
    http://www.mccgaeilge.com/Aist%ED%20-%20Essays%20-%20Proper.htm This site is pretty useful I found :)

Wow thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 louiseB900

Hi, would anyone know where I cud get an example of an Irish essay on "imirce"? Mature student here desperately looking for any help as i don't even know where to start.

Thanks

Advertisement