Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Exercises to increase lung capacity?

• 15-02-2012 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hey,

just wondering if there is any exercises to increase/improve lung capacity?

i know swimming is highly recommended. anything else?

cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Any aerobic exercise. Like running. Anything where your lungs have to work.

And if you smoke - stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Focusing your air is also important when you're singing :)
    You can practice that by rolling a little piece of paper into a ball, put it right infront of you on a table and try to blow it off the edge on the other side of the table in one breath. When you succeed you put the paper ball back on the table, slightly further away and you do the same. Repeat the exercise, moving the ball further and further away each time, until you have it as far away from you as you possibly can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

any sort or high intensity interval training has been shown to improve V02, lung capacity.

Sprints is probably the most well known method of it but you could also do it on a bike or swimming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Free divers have fantastic lung capacity.
    Not exactly the safest past time in the world however!!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrVoracious

I know swimming was mentioned but I'd have to say although it's good you should really try swimming games like setting a target in the pool and trying to swim underwater to it without taking a breath. Then just keep trying to improve the distance you have to swim. It really helped me not only to improve lung capacity (can hold my breath for well over a minute) but it also improved the power of my vocals. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I've played the trumpet for 10 years and my lung capacity is the strongest in my drama group, but I'd not say for definite that that was the cause. I used to swim a lot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bennettcynthia

Breathing exercises are good for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Press_Start

Yoga and breathing, as well as any HI sport or cardio work.

Not only this but there is one exercise where you can just breathe in as much as you can into your backspace, and then blow it all out, firm but not as fast as you can, meaning blow hard, but try to go as long as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3 anakola

If for singing or talking purposes you should learn how to breath from your diaphragm. There is a number of excercises which help to strenghten this muscle and make your voice last loner and be stronger. Slowly breathing the air in (not into your lungs but as if to your stomach), and then slowly breathing out on a "ssss" sound is probably the easiest, and the best to start with.

Advertisement