Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth Watching?

Options
  • 15-02-2012 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭

OK, obviously in a thread about Game of Thrones everyone is going to say yes :D

I haven't watched it yet, as I'm not a big fan of fantasy and I don't know anything about the show except that everyone keeps recommending it to me. How does this compare to something like LOTR?

I tried reading Lord of the Rings when I was younger and got bored very quick, maybe I was too young to appreciate it. I never returned to the books, maybe I should. I watched the movies and while I found the movies to be fantastically shot, it didn't exactly blow me away.

So if I was to give this a go, would it be better reading the books first?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The books are huge epics, and the story is not finished yet.

I never heard of GoT, or the books, before last year when the Sean Bean posters started appearing.

I watched the series first, loved it, then read the books.

The first series is the first book, and sticks pretty faithfully to it.

It is definitely worth watching the first few episodes, then you'll finish the rest of them. Then pick up the first book and read that. You'll immediately recognise the names, places and stories, so the first book will be easier to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I'm with Des here. I knew nothing about this until I seen it on Sky Atlantic. Loved the series and couldn't wait so started reading the books.

The books were much easier to read having known what the characters and majority of places looked like.

Watch it.
    If you don't appreciate Tyrion Lannister on your screen, your television pass is revoked. Amazing character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I'm the same - but opposite.
    Hadn't really heard of the series until last year, but I started with the books - I'm about half way through the second and enjoying them.

Haven't yet started watching the tv series because I wasn't sure how much of the books they covered, but I guess I'm ok to watch Series 1 by the sound of it.

Call me a traditionalist, but I prefer reading the source material before seeing the adaption generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

I'm totally opposite in the way I approached the first season!

Firstly, I watched the first episode (never heard of GOT before) and loved it. I then decided to pick up the book and began reading it BUT... I looked on the internet and found a website that tells you which chapters in the book cover which episodes. So what I did is read some chapters, watch the show and so on. I found it great because I could easily compare the book/show without having to go back to the book. However, this didn't (won't?) last for Season 2 because I'm nearly finished book 4 and moving on to ADWD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I'm the same - but opposite.
    Hadn't really heard of the series until last year, but I started with the books - I'm about half way through the second and enjoying them.

Haven't yet started watching the tv series because I wasn't sure how much of the books they covered, but I guess I'm ok to watch Series 1 by the sound of it.

Call me a traditionalist, but I prefer reading the source material before seeing the adaption generally.

I would tend to agree with you and usually do it this way but like other posters said, I hadn't heard of the A Song of Ice and Fire series until it became a TV series. I watched it then after a bit of deliberation on whether I wanted to 'spoil' the TV series, decided to read the books. I think I find the books much easier to follow because of the great job the TV series did in creating the sense of place and casting the characters (despite them all being generally older in the TV series).

I have just finished book 4 and am waiting for ADWD in paperback, spilt into 2 parts (pre-ordered on Amazon) as the current hardback is too big to read in bed without breaking your wrist!:D So I'll be staying out of the 'Have read the books' threads until I've finished them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Yep I'm with the majority here...saw season 1 and I have now read all the books (and hope to god GRR Martin doesn't leave it too long for the next book).

If you liked the LOTR films you will be into this IMO...my boyfriend never reads books but he loves this show. He thinks it's the best thing on tv.

The story is so good that it really doesn't feel very 'fantasy' genre more like it's based on some time in the past. (with the exception of a few things)

I really think you should give it a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I was in a similar boat to the OP. No interest in fantasy or horror or supernatural stuff in general :p I didn't fall in love with LOTR like most people did (though I like it now).

Was sucked in by GOT straight away though, awesome show with terrific characters.

Season 1 has virtually nothing 'fantasy' about it anyway, just good old fashion swords and beheadings and intrigue and the likes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Agreed, aside from a few scenes (with one obvious exception) I think the vast majority of season 1 is based in reality of sorts.

I like lord of the rings but GoT is far far better and more "grown up" for want of a better phrase. The political backstabbing and skulduggery alone is brilliant outside of the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Another yes from me. The books that this is based on are fantastic. The production values of HBO phenomenal and the acting top notch. You really can't go wrong.

ASOIAF was the first 'fantasy' series I read. Having scoffed for many years at the idea of reading such farce. It's almost the perfect lead into fantasy for both books and tv. I'd put this down to the fact that it doesn't really have much fantasy to begin with but its constantly ramping it up to the point where you turn around and realise you're one of those 'fantasy' geeks now :D
    It's a gateway drug to bigger magical highs!

I really think this will be something that sparks a lot of TV execs into atempting to adapt more fantasy series for TV. I'm not sure that's a good idea but for the next few years you'll see a change in attitudes with fantasy becoming a lot more poular in terms of the entertainment industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I'm not hugely into fantasy series or novels, so I was quite unsure about watching GoT, but the show is that good that it doesn't matter! I've been reading the books now too, and they are even better imo. Give the first few episodes a watch and then see what you think. You should know pretty quickly whether the show is for you or not :)

I also am not a fan of LOTR either :pac: I fell asleep in the cinema when I saw it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

I'm not a fan of LOTR either, liked the movies, hated the books.

Said I'd watch one episode of GOT to see what everyone was going on about, ended up spending a good most of three months reading all the books to date. It's a brilliant show and the books for the most part are absolutely amazing!

Definitely worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I had never read fantasy books before, they just didn't appeal to me, thrillers and detective novels were my thing, eg the John Rebus books but a work collegue got me into GOT. for the first book had the rigth blend of 'reality' and fantasy to ease you into it. Feckin hooked, reading A dance with Dragons now, pity its going to be a while before the next one.

I have only watched one episode of the series and from what I saw itr stuck to book religiously, i am waiting until I finish the books before I restart watching the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd be another one who didn't read fantasy. Hated the LOTR and gave up on it less than a quarter of the way through: at 14 I was probably too old for it tbh.

Got A Game of Thrones from a friend who insisted I read it and proceeded to demolish the first 4 books in under a month and join the hordes who had been waiting on the fifth book for years. I even ended up going to a midnight launch party to get ADwD!

Like Dave! says: the first book is far more historical than fantasy and the series has it's roots in the War of the Roses as much as in the tropes of High Fantasy.

Like quite a few others, A Song of Ice and Fire has been my gateway into fantasy: it helped me realise that not liking the most famous example of something doesn't mean you won't love the rest of it. It shouldn't have been so surprising tbh, as I always loved fantasy and super hero movies: like the line in American Pie: I'm a comic book nerd who never read comics (until I bought the trades as an adult! :op)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

s.welstead wrote: »
    Another yes from me. The books that this is based on are fantastic. The production values of HBO phenomenal and the acting top notch. You really can't go wrong.

ASOIAF was the first 'fantasy' series I read. Having scoffed for many years at the idea of reading such farce. It's almost the perfect lead into fantasy for both books and tv. I'd put this down to the fact that it doesn't really have much fantasy to begin with but its constantly ramping it up to the point where you turn around and realise you're one of those 'fantasy' geeks now :D
    It's a gateway drug to bigger magical highs!

I really think this will be something that sparks a lot of TV execs into atempting to adapt more fantasy series for TV. I'm not sure that's a good idea but for the next few years you'll see a change in attitudes with fantasy becoming a lot more poular in terms of the entertainment industry.

I'm hoping some bright spark adapts Joe Abercrombies the first law trilogy for FX/Showtime/AMC there are some great characters in there I'd love to see brought to screen.

On topic yes OP it is very much worth watching, in fact I find with these watercooler type shows the sooner you watch them the better as the longer you leave it the more chance of the media or a friend spoiling it on you.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'd read the books before the TV show (no surprise there) and I'd recommend watching the show first and then reading the book. The TV show will help you visualize the characters and the book will embellish the story and situations afterwards.
    If I read "Game of Thrones" again I'd now picture Peter Dinklage as Tyrion despite the fact he should be much uglier. The TV series has done a great job of cementing what some of the characters look like, rightly or wrongly.
    It's also very faithful so the books are a little bit like having lots of deleted scenes added on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I wasn't aware that the books existed, but picked it up in Easons when I saw Seán Bean on the cover. I hadn't watch the series either, read the book in 'bout 3 days (which is good for me). I would always encourage to read the book first and let your imagination picture the characters and what they look like and also the world of Westeros itself

Advertisement