Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession friendly dressmaker!

Options
  • 15-02-2012 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi All

I'm looking for a dressmaker to make my wedding dress for a beach wedding within 7 weeks. All the ones mentioned on the boards or that I've found on-line so far have been far too expensive for me - €700 upwards. All I am looking for is a very simple A line strapless wedding dress with sash that would be very simple to make.

Are there any budget friendly dressmakers out there in the Dublin area?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

kelznz wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm looking for a dressmaker to make my wedding dress for a beach wedding within 7 weeks. All the ones mentioned on the boards or that I've found on-line so far have been far too expensive for me - €700 upwards. All I am looking for is a very simple A line strapless wedding dress with sash that would be very simple to make.

Are there any budget friendly dressmakers out there in the Dublin area?

Thanks in advance!

Part of the cost may be down to the fabric you have chosen. Try this lady http://www.anneomahony.com/ she worked for Ib Jorgensen in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kelznz

Thanks, I did see you mention her in a different post but her site says wedding dresses 'start at €1500' - so not quite recession busting for me!

:)

I imagine that quote is for the fully boned, bells and whistles dresses. My advice is to ring up and explain what you want and then you'll get a far more accurate price. These lists on websites are only indications.

Her list also says bridesmaids start at E450, so if that less structured style is what you're looking for then its within your price range. Remember to factor in the cloth as well.

There's also Thomas Wolfangel in Dún Laoighaire he's a couturier as well and does very fine work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kelznz

Thanks alot for your help. Unfortunately Ann is away the next few weeks, just my luck! Cheers for the info.

In that case I'd advise:

Thamos Wolfangel,
    24 Melifoint House,
    Mellifont Avenue,
    Dunlaoghaire.
    Tel: 01 2807066

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭fourcats

Hi, I am a dressmaker based in Wicklow town, if you would like to give me a call I can see if I can be of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I would look in Debenhams for your dress as they sell wedding dress for €200 to €250. I also saw recently that the St Vincent de Paul Shop in Terenure now sell wedding dress upstairs in there shop. You could get the dress of your dreams for half the price of a new one. Oxfam also have a shop in Dublin city centre that sells wedding dresses also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

okiss wrote: »
    I would look in Debenhams for your dress as they sell wedding dress for €200 to €250. I also saw recently that the St Vincent de Paul Shop in Terenure now sell wedding dress upstairs in there shop. You could get the dress of your dreams for half the price of a new one. Oxfam also have a shop in Dublin city centre that sells wedding dresses also.

Monsoon would be worth a look as well. How about buying one 2nd hand? I'm sure you could find a wedding forum where women try to sell there wedding dresses.

Advertisement