Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matt DeVries Replaces Byron Stroud in Fear Factory (sorry, this isn't a joke)

Options
  • 15-02-2012 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

I am a little gutted to be the one reporting this myself, as much as I love both Fear Factory and Chimaira, but it appears that Byron has decided to leave Fear Factory (with their latest album now fully recorded and artwork on the way) and will be replaced by Matt, formerly of Chimaira.

I got this from AFM Records in the form of a newsletter, not even the bands label commented on this first, so I apologise if I've been fooled but it looks legitimate - I'm really bummed about this and there's absolutely no reason given for why Byron is walking away.

They mention touring line up, so perhaps Byron remains with FF in the studio and this isn't him leaving, just him not wanting to tour anymore?
    DeVries comments, “I have been asked by Dino and Burton to join one of my favorite bands. I have been a fan of Fear Factory since 1992 and I could not be more excited to be part of this incredible band. We have shared the stage many times together and now I’m beyond stoked to be on the same stage playing together. Thank you to all my fans worldwide for sticking by me and I will be seeing you all on the road very soon.”

Guitarist Dino Cazares and Vocalist Burton C. Bell note, “we are very excited to have Matt playing bass for Fear Factory. We feel he is a great addition to our touring line-up. He has been a friend for a very long time and he is a great musician who will be a perfect instrument in the FF machine.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I am a little gutted to be the one reporting this myself, as much as I love both Fear Factory and Chimaira, but it appears that Byron has decided to leave Fear Factory (with their latest album now fully recorded and artwork on the way) and will be replaced by Matt, formerly of Chimaira.

I got this from AFM Records in the form of a newsletter, not even the bands label commented on this first, so I apologise if I've been fooled but it looks legitimate - I'm really bummed about this and there's absolutely no reason given for why Byron is walking away.

They mention touring line up, so perhaps Byron remains with FF in the studio and this isn't him leaving, just him not wanting to tour anymore?

Probably so, as Byron joind 3 inches of blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Six Feet Under have announced their new bassist by the way in case anyone is interested
    SIX FEET UNDER has locked in the latest addition to the bands already heavy and extremely talented lineup. Seven-string bassist Jeff Hughell, formally of the Santa Cruz California technical death metal band Brain Drill and Concord California death metal band Vile,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm not too bothered by Byron's departure. I don't think his presence contributed a whole lot to their sound. Unlike the replacement of Ray with Gene Hoglan on drums where anyone can hear the improvement, Byron didn't seem to do much that Christian hadn't already done on bass.

Malice wrote: »
    I'm not too bothered by Byron's departure. I don't think his presence contributed a whole lot to their sound. Unlike the replacement of Ray with Gene Hoglan on drums where anyone can hear the improvement, Byron didn't seem to do much that Christian hadn't already done on bass.

You think Gene is an improvement on Ray?

I have to say ray's drumming is one of my biggest influences, so I wouldn't necessarily say he's better, just different.

It's odd too, as gene's drumming harks back to SOANM/Concrete era FF as opposed to the more mainstream style they were with especially on transgression.

Don't get me wrong Hoglan is a beast, but the style FF have reverted to suits the stuff Hoglan is playing. I'm sure ray would be doing summit similar if he was there (though listening to arkaea I'm not too sure if he's into the heavier stuff anymore :o)

Your right on the byron thing btw I didn't even know he was on the records half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

DrumSteve wrote: »
    You think Gene is an improvement on Ray?
    Yep, a big one (no pun intended). :)
    DrumSteve wrote:
    I have to say ray's drumming is one of my biggest influences, so I wouldn't necessarily say he's better, just different.
    It's odd too, as gene's drumming harks back to SOANM/Concrete era FF as opposed to the more mainstream style they were with especially on transgression.
    For me Ray's drumming signature is ultra-precise, almost programmed double-bass lines. Gene does that too (maybe not as precise) but also introduces more tasteful fills. I realise taste is subjective but it just seemed to me on Mechanize that he took the rhythm section to a more technical level than Ray ever did.
    DrumSteve wrote:
    Don't get me wrong Hoglan is a beast, but the style FF have reverted to suits the stuff Hoglan is playing. I'm sure ray would be doing summit similar if he was there (though listening to arkaea I'm not too sure if he's into the heavier stuff anymore :o)
    Some of the songs off Transgression have come up for me on random play recently. I think the whole band plodded their way through that album ;). The Arkaea stuff seems similarly dull to me. It's not bad as such, there's just nothing particularly gripping about the songs.

• Advertisement

Malice wrote: »
    Yep, a big one (no pun intended). :)

For me Ray's drumming signature is ultra-precise, almost programmed double-bass lines. Gene does that too (maybe not as precise) but also introduces more tasteful fills. I realise taste is subjective but it just seemed to me on Mechanize that he took the rhythm section to a more technical level than Ray ever did.

Some of the songs off Transgression have come up for me on random play recently. I think the whole band plodded their way through that album ;). The Arkaea stuff seems similarly dull to me. It's not bad as such, there's just nothing particularly gripping about the songs.

True... Transgression was a let down for me but Moment of Impact was the one redeeming part of that album. Shame too as Archetype was brilliant IMO.

I see what your saying as regards Gene, I always felt though the ultra precise drums fit in with the nature of thier music and what they were trying to do; that whole man/machine thing.(i.e. edgecrusher, shock and self bias resistor).

That being said I'd say fear campaign would be in my top 5 FF songs.

On a side note, not a fan of Arkaea, it's a bit pants really. Can see Gene leaving in a few years and chris/ray coming back and touring the first 3 albums and if we're lucky, Concrete. :D

Advertisement