Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First timer - Looking for a Hybrid

Options
  • 15-02-2012 5:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

I would like to know how do I go about locating a suitable hybrid bicycle for myself?

I've zero experience in terms of cycling as a means of exercise, having never gone on an cycles since my childhood years. As a result, I'm at a complete loss as to what to look out for.

My budget I suppose would be €500 tops for one(if that's even enough?) A hybrid was recommended to me as I'd be doing mostly road cycles but an out and out road racer isn't something I'd like to get due to the angle at which I'd be cycling at....lower disc injury makes long term bending at that angle a possible problem for me.

Thanks for any help ye can provide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I would like to know how do I go about locating a suitable hybrid bicycle for myself?

I've zero experience in terms of cycling as a means of exercise, having never gone on an cycles since my childhood years. As a result, I'm at a complete loss as to what to look out for.

My budget I suppose would be €500 tops for one(if that's even enough?) A hybrid was recommended to me as I'd be doing mostly road cycles but an out and out road racer isn't something I'd like to get due to the angle at which I'd be cycling at....lower disc injury makes long term bending at that angle a possible problem for me.

Thanks for any help ye can provide.

You should be able to pick up a good condition 2nd hand Giant Escape, Rapid or a Specialized Cirrus (as examples) for well within that budget.

Don't be afraid of getting narrower tyres. I have an escape on 28mm tyres and I'd never go back to fat wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

an out and out road racer isn't something I'd like to get due to the angle at which I'd be cycling at....lower disc injury makes long term bending at that angle a possible problem for me.
    Don't rule it out. I fractured a vertabrae in lower back and have no problems whatsoever riding a race bike. Check with your consultant first though to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Something like this

Avoid bikes with suspension, heavy and un-necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Thanks for the input so far folks.

Regarding the size of the bike, I presume it will have to be the correct size in order for it to be the best fit? I'm 5'11

If I was to order a bicycle online, would I be able to specify the size requirement or what?

A pure noob I am regarding this area :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭redscan

I bought the Elite version off them for more than this back in June.

The Comp version looks very nice comes with reliable puncture proof tyres, which are a must!:

http://www.mcconveycycles.com/store/product/15753/specialized-sirrus-comp-2011-medium/

I had no problem with them delivering to the south.

Might be a bit out of the the budget ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Invincible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Try out a Giant Rapid 1 ,2 or 3, or a Fuji flat bar within your budget and very close to Road bike performance without the bent back

Had a look at a Kellys axis hybrid today. €530

any thoughts on this model?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭reallyunique

The Kellys Axis is a bit like a mountain bike, but with road style wheels. At 30lbs it's not too heavy to push around and if you're using it to get fit that shouldn't matter at all. The Suntour 75mm "suspension" isn't much use on the road, it doesn't soak up bumps all that well but it soaks up a little of your pedaling effort too. The Shimano hydraulic brakes are pretty good at their job and seem reliable enough, they'll definitely stop you in the wet. The rest of the kit on the bike is fairly standard Shimano stuff so it shouldn't go wrong. The only thing I wouldn't like is the adjustable stem, I feel they're a little fragile but I tend to break things so it's probably just me. If it bothers you later you can replace it fairly cheaply.

Totally a personal opinion here but I'd look for a bike with similar nice fluffy 38mm tyres but no suspension as this takes maintenance and won't really be noticed on the road. (If you end up going for a bike with 26inch wheels you'll need even fluffier tyres than that or it'll start to feel harsh).

There are plenty of these second hand so that might be worth a look if you're confident you know your size.

Hybrids get a pretty bad rep around here because they're not race bikes (too heavy and comfortable) and they're not mountain bikes (not tough enough). They're not perfect city bikes either as they have derailleur gears, alloy frames, a modern sporty feel and none of the kit so beloved of the cycle-chic crowd.

They are OK for getting around town and in and out to work but seriously long rides will push you towards getting bar-ends to get a few extra hand positions. They can take proper mudguards and the fatter tyres will make the whole riding experience more comfy. It may seem odd but if you're comfortable on a bike you'll feel like riding more.

The upright position can be easier on your back/arms/wrists but a good fit is really important so make sure you read up on this yourself. It's not a one-man job but if you know what you're looking for it'll help you to tell if the seller/fitter has a clue. I know that no decent 17yr old part-time sales "dude" would ever just try to sell you whatever size they had in stock but you can't be too careful.

If you're going to use it to work or on longish trips then get a carrier for the back, this rucksack thing is a pain and sweaty too. Full coverage mudguards (not the toy plastic strips in some bike shops) are handy for keeping general road muck off you. You may decide not to ride in the rain but if you have to wait for the puddles to dry too then you might never get to ride :)

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your purchase!

There are two reason's which are really preventing me at this stage from looking at a road model.

First and foremost is my back. Since I ruptured a disc 6 months ago, I've been confined to just walking as my only form of exercise. The position of the body while on a road bike looks very uncomfortable for someone in my position. In saying that, I've never taken a road bicycle for a spin.

Second reason, is that I'd like to have the option to do some light trails with herself every once in a while, but 99% of the time it will be on the road.

However, this would be very seldom as I'd be mainly using the bike as a form of fitness, commuting doesn't come into the equation.

Getting into cycling is 100% as a need to get back into some sort of training, as I was a heavy weight lifter in the gym with a decent amount of cardio mixed in. Going from that to walking the dog has slowly taken it's toll on me.

Regarding bike sizing, I've no idea, but I presume any good bicycle shop will sort me out there.

Can anyone with a similar back injury let me know if they'd recommend a hybrid or road bike?

I can see how hybrid's have a bad name, I just thought it would provide me with the most comfort at this stage?

Thanks.

Edit: Half thinking about a road bike now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Had a look at a Kellys axis hybrid today. €530

any thoughts on this model?

I've had a Kellys Neos for about two years now, which is very similar bike. Really comfortable, and very low gearing which will let you climb any hill at your leisure. Sturdy and well built, with decent quality parts. Also fine for long days in the saddle, if you are happy that you won't be as fast as a road bike. The suspension I could live without, but locked out it just adds to the weight more than anything else.

Saw a nice second hand Lapierre shaper at a good price on the adds section recently. Could be a nice option if the fit was right. Lighter and faster than the Kellys, more of a flat bar road bike than a hybrid. Just bought a 2nd hand road bike before Christmas, or I would have probably grabbed this one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I wouldn't pay any more than €350 for a used hybrid in excellent condition. They depreciate like a rock as they're a bit of a limbo category of bike. Look on adverts or donedeal for the likes of a Trek 7.3. Remember vendors can ask what they like but what they'll get is a different matter entirely.

Pretty much decided that I'm going down the road bike route, rather than a hybrid.

Had a good long chat with a chap I know and he says that I'd want to change from a hybrid after no time at all.

He also mentioned a lot of technical stuff that went over my head regarding "group sets" etc. Sora...tiagra? Basically he said I should stay away from the likes of trek as you are paying for a brand name and therefore don't get equally good a parts. He suggested I get a group set of either sora/tiagra along with a compact driver chain system(think that's what he was referring too.

So now the goal is to find a suitable bike for my budget which is still around the €600 mark, and also to get a correct sized frame.

Any suggestions? Maybe a mod could edit the title to say Road bike, instead of hybrid?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭radiat

make sure you factor in all the necessary accessories for your budget. I don't know what else you plan to get in terms of lights, pump, clothes etc but i've learned from experience that if you try to cut corners and buy cheap stuff you'll only be going back in 6 months to get something better

radiat wrote: »
    make sure you factor in all the necessary accessories for your budget. I don't know what else you plan to get in terms of lights, pump, clothes etc but i've learned from experience that if you try to cut corners and buy cheap stuff you'll only be going back in 6 months to get something better

Yeah, well budget for bike is €600/€700 and then I'll get the bits of gear as well. That was my next question btw.....what accessories/gear should I be looking at getting? Helmet and padded shorts obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

Have you noticed that the budget keeps going up?

Have you noticed that the budget keeps going up?

lol...yes I have. I'm beginning to catch this bug already! :eek:

Did you try Morans Bike shop in Drumshambo ? Got a Giant Rapid 3 off him for €620 before, nice fella to deal with.

Invincible wrote: »
    Did you try Morans Bike shop in Drumshambo ? Got a Giant Rapid 3 off him for €620 before, nice fella to deal with.

No I didn't try there. Will take a gander tomorrow if I can. Was shown a flat bar Giant Rapid 4 today in Gary Cycles in Sligo for €650.

And also a Jupiter Spider - Carbon fork, sora/Tiagra for €599.

Again there is so many options and I'm at a complete loss as to what to choose from. Was told to keep away from the big name brands if possible as they are more expensive and don't give as good components or some other cheaper models.

That seems expensive for a Rapid 4 as it is a lesser bike than the 3.
    For a price comparison, look here - http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/showsearchresults.asp?idCategory=38

Don't forget to use the bike to work scheme to get the best value!

• Advertisement

Went looking at a "specialized Allez Elite" today which is 10 speed and has full Tiagra group set which costs €1029

Afterwards, a mate told me that if I was going spending a grand on a bike then for that money I should be getting a 105 group set?

He reckons that for €600/€700 I'd be able to get a full tiagra group but just not the "specialized" brand name.

Was told to shop around obviously and to take a look at wiggle.

Could some of ye here give me a few links to bikes on wiggle that I should look into? I can use the bike to work scheme so, my budget has gone from the initial €500 to €1000 in the space of 2 days...........jayses, Im caught now! :rolleyes:

lol...completely overwhelmed at the different options available now regarding what to buy :eek:

Felt F85 and a few other's have been recommended to me.

Advertisement