Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder of David Kato Kisule on the agenda at 'The Anglican Primates Summit'

Options
  • 15-02-2012 4:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭

'The Anglican Primates Summit' took place in Dublin Jan 2011 an event were all the Anglican Archbishops assemble for a conference except this year it was boycotted by a number of ArchBishops because of the summits agenda namely:

"The murder of Ugandan gay rights activist David Kato:”Whatever the precise circumstances of his death, which have yet to be determined, we know that David Kato Kisule lived under the threat of violence and death," Williams said in a Jan. 28 statement. "No one should have to live in such fear because of the bigotry of others. Such violence has been consistently condemned by the Anglican Communion worldwide . . .

Among the seven Archbishops not to attend was the outspoken Ugandan Archbishop Henry Orombi who along with his 'boycott' also announced his early retirement.

this vid may have been posted before......

persecuted even in death.....
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/28/gay-activist-david-kato-funeral

The Summit.......
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0130/anglicans.html

A year on from this and UK Anglican homophobic groups 'CORE Ministries' and 'CORE Issues' are active here and in the UK weeks ago organising a conference in Belfast I haven't linked to their sites trigger warning if you google them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I guess thr boycott is unsurprising but it's good to see the issue on the agenda at least.

You would think though that as Christians they would have no problem in condemning his murder if not a responsibility to do so without getting into whether the believed in gay rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Primate...how apt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

^^I'm glad someone said it, it was exactly what I was thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Shakti wrote: »

Jesus Christ. I don't know what to say. It is not like you can reason with that kind of mentality.

It will be interesting though how the Ugandan govt deals with celebrities and well known national figures who are found out.

One would imagine that if a well known national celebrity was found to be gay people might start to humanize LGBT people more. But obviously not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Shakti wrote: »
    'The Anglican Primates Summit' took place in Dublin Jan 2011 an event were all the Anglican Archbishops assemble for a conference except this year it was boycotted by a number of ArchBishops because of the summits agenda namely:

"The murder of Ugandan gay rights activist David Kato:”Whatever the precise circumstances of his death, which have yet to be determined, we know that David Kato Kisule lived under the threat of violence and death," Williams said in a Jan. 28 statement. "No one should have to live in such fear because of the bigotry of others. Such violence has been consistently condemned by the Anglican Communion worldwide . . .

Among the seven Archbishops not to attend was the outspoken Ugandan Archbishop Henry Orombi who along with his 'boycott' also announced his early retirement.

this vid may have been posted before......

persecuted even in death.....
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/28/gay-activist-david-kato-funeral

The Summit.......
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0130/anglicans.html

A year on from this and UK Anglican homophobic groups 'CORE Ministries' and 'CORE Issues' are active here and in the UK weeks ago organising a conference in Belfast I haven't linked to their sites trigger warning if you google them.

Well I would be glad if they showed some support against violence. But to be honest they have a cheek.

I think there is a ban on the 'therapy' core ministries offered to 'cure' homosexuality now in the UK.

During the UK debate on same sex marriage leading up to the legalization of Anglican bishops submitted papers claiming it could and should be cured to the govt as part of the Marriage Same Sex Couples Committee Hearing.

Quakers in the UK support and celebrate homosexual marriage in the UK and have for over 50 yrs. The Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) in Britain supports gay marriage. Yet I bet any support they will show will be overlooked by the establishment because they are small.

Advertisement