Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Success Stories

Options
  • 15-02-2012 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd start a thread here on the Irish who have made it big in Australia.I think it always great to here of Irish making it big abroad.

I would love for people to put everyone from the Irish who made the rich list to the guys who is set up a company with 100's working for him.

The first guy that comes to mind is Terry Clune,the man behind Taxback.com. He studied business in Trinity Collage and identified a need in the market to offer support and help to fellow students working abroad to recover income tax.Today he hires over 650 employees,has offices in 21 countries and a projected turnover of €90m this year.

Another that springs to mind is Ray O'Rourke,director of Laing O'Rourke.The company was founded by Ray O'Rourke in 1978. It was originally based in East London and was known as R. O'Rourke & Son.In 2001 R. O'Rourke bought Laing Construction from John Laing plc for £1. Laing's construction business had been making significant losses, in part due to additional costs on the Cardiff Millennium Stadium project. The name of the company was changed to Laing O'Rourke.In 2004 the company acquired Crown House Engineering, a mechanical & electrical engineering business.Laing O'Rourke went on to expand its operations in Australia in 2006 when it acquired Barclay Mowlem.

If its ok with the mods,add your own or someone other Irish who have made it big in Australia.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Ronnie Delaney winning Olympic gold at the Melbourne Olympics

Sonia O'Sullivan winning Olympic silver at the Sydney Olympics.

If that isn't making it big then I don't know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Ned Kelly? :)

Jim Stynes springs to mind straight away. Even before his cancer battle he was unbelievably well respected both within and outside of footy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Alan Joyce springs to mind, CEO of Qantas since late november 2008. Self explanatory, most irish in Australia should have heard about him by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You might find this interesting Top 100 Irish Australians

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

Michael Malone and Michael O'Reilly founders of IInet. Over 1700 employees and 1.3 million customers...Not too shabby

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IiNet

• Advertisement

Jim Stynes. One of the all time AFL greats.

EDIT: Beaten to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Tim Cahill nearly declared for Ireland after having a fall out with the Aussie FA as a teenager :(

Anyone find it a bit, meh, that the three most prominent Irishmen in Australia are Alan Joyce, Brian McFadden and Ronan Keating :pac: Apart from Kyle Sandilands the first two are probably the two most disliked men in the whole of Australia :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Michael Malone and Michael O'Reilly founders of IInet. Over 1700 employees and 1.3 million customers...Not too shabby

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IiNet

Don't forget this chap -

BOB_2-thumb-350x196-13728.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Don't forget this chap -

BOB_2-thumb-350x196-13728.jpg

Jesus he is even worse than McFadden. Twat and a half.

Electronic dance outfit The Potbelleez also have Irish members.

However they are terrible, generic radio friendly cheese sh1te, so I wouldnt bother claiming that one out loud :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Me, oh no wait im still broke lol!!

I need a dollar :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Damien Leith

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Damien Leith
    That's the Irish guy who won Australian Idol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Ned Kelly? :)

Ned deliberately shot at these innocent men. Just before leaving the crime scene, Ned stole Sergeant Kennedy’s gold watch and later stated, “What's the use of a watch to a dead man?"

Shhh, its not a real success story, more like the dark family secret, keep it quiet the neighbours might hear:D

www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1436267-Ned-Kelly--Hero-or-Villain

With regards Sonia O’Sullivan, her Olympic silver medal was not merely just won in Australia, but in fact Australia had a big role in her success. In the years leading up to the Sydney Olympics and beyond, she spent 6 months of the year living in Melbourne. In her book, she speaks fondly about “The Tan”, the famous 3.827km running trail that circles the Botanical Gardens in South Melbourne. She was granted dual citizenship in 2006 so she could compete for Australia in the Commonwealth Games, but missed out eventually through injury. She still lives in Melbourne these days, married to Nic Bideau, an Australian, who currently runs an elite training group down here. Sonia herself is still very active and involved in the local running scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

04072511 wrote: »
    With regards Sonia O’Sullivan, her Olympic silver medal was not merely just won in Australia, but in fact Australia had a big role in her success. In the years leading up to the Sydney Olympics and beyond, she spent 6 months of the year living in Melbourne. In her book, she speaks fondly about “The Tan”, the famous 3.827km running trail that circles the Botanical Gardens in South Melbourne. She was granted dual citizenship in 2006 so she could compete for Australia in the Commonwealth Games, but missed out eventually through injury. She still lives in Melbourne these days, married to Nic Bideau, an Australian, who currently runs an elite training group down here. Sonia herself is still very active and involved in the local running scene.

Wow, had no idea about that one!

Also a side note, I remember seeing Damien Leith in a pub band a few years ago - Their name was a Frames song - I think Revelate, anyway I remember thinking he was a great singer.

The website RSVP was founded by two Irish brother and they sold it off for a good few million to fairfax, now it's worth a couple of 100 mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

irishmover wrote: »
    Alan Joyce springs to mind, CEO of Qantas since late november 2008. Self explanatory, most irish in Australia should have heard about him by now.

Most hated Irish person in Australia right now, Qantas just announced 500 job losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Jesus he is even worse than McFadden. Twat and a half.

I actually know this guy and he is a really nice lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Doc wrote: »
    I actually know this guy and he is a really nice lad.

Did he like his bike he got a Christmas?

Advertisement