Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bleeding wont stop after extraction?

Options
  • 14-02-2012 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi,
    I had a tooth extracted 3 hours ago and it wont stop bleeding.
    what should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

Use the cotton that the dentist gave you but DO NOT RINSE as the hole needs time to clot

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭daviddunne1992

Use the cotton that the dentist gave you but DO NOT RINSE as the hole needs time to clot
    thanks for the reply, but unfortunately I used the two bits of cotton I was given and it's started to bleed again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

bite on some wrapped up tissue and keep good pressure for 20-30 mins, and relax.
    if you worry about it, it'll take longer to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

A lot of saliva and a little blood can look very dramatic. Follow ballsymchugh's advice above and put serious pressure on the area. Like a cowboy in a movie tightening a belt around a wound the pressure will stop the bleeding. If this is a major worry the dental hospital have a on call service but that is done through a A&E and in my experience the bleeding will have stopped long before you are seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭daviddunne1992

thanks guys, I tried your advice several times even until my jaws started to hurt but to no avail.

Should I be worried now?

• Advertisement

Be calm. Get kitchen roll nice strong stuff. Roll up into a tight cigar shape. Place this directly onto the extraction site and fold it over so you can bite with a lot of pressure onto it and the wound. Now bite hard and leave it biting HARD for 20 minutes. By the end the tissue paper with be wet with saliva and easy to remove. Release the pressure and inspect the site. Blood may be clotted there but should not be pouring out. If there is still bleeding then repeat the process again. Report back after 2 or 3 cycles of this. Remember most of the liquid is saliva not blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Be calm. Get kitchen roll nice strong stuff. Roll up into a tight cigar shape. Place this directly onto the extraction site and fold it over so you can bite with a lot of pressure onto it and the wound. Now bite hard and leave it biting HARD for 20 minutes. By the end the tissue paper with be wet with saliva and easy to remove. Release the pressure and inspect the site. Blood may be clotted there but should not be pouring out. If there is still bleeding then repeat the process again. Report back after 2 or 3 cycles of this. Remember most of the liquid is saliva not blood.

Exactly as fitz said, but soak the pack in ice cold water first, then bite down hard for the 20mins and repeat a few times.
    Once controlled, eat and drink only cold things tonight as warmt can bring on bleeding again. Elevate the head, don't lie flat, let gravity help you...

How did it go OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

no reply yet, not looking good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

just checking obituary notices now. will post again if I find anything :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement