Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox query

Options
  • 14-02-2012 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭

I just spotted a Fox sleeping in the field beside my home. She got up, had a stretch and lay back down again.

I've seen it plenty of times around the garden.

The spot where she was lying is on a large overgrown mound (excavation for the house).

Is it likely that this is where she is 'living' ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Very possible but she could also be hunting for rats there if its a building site. Have you checked the mound for a den?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Ta.

The mound is in an overgrown field beside the house. No building going on, the mound is a result of the excavation from my remote home about 6 years ago.

I'll pop over tomorrow to have a look .... excited :)

edit - funny enough, I haven't seen a rat about in a while. Nor the Pine Marten...

If its really over grown ther very well could be a den there considering its been there 6 yeaes. If you do find an earth you will know if its being used if the entrance is clear of leaves and other debris and there may well be more than one entrance, also look for bones around this is a good indication. If you do have a vixen there you should set up a hide away from the mound looking at the entrance that you can leave there you might get some good viewing if she has cubs if your well hidden!

Popped over the fence the other day. No sign of anything. The place where she was restin glooked well used though and a well used trail.

Nearby I'd say :)

Here's a trick for ya that hunters use. Get an old alarm clock, the type that takes a single AA battery in the back, tie it to something so it wont be taken. Now tie a small bit of strilg round the battery and the other end of the string to something the fox will want, ie a bone with a bit of meat and when the fox takes it you will know what time because the clock stops.

Do this over a few days and you may get an idea of the time best to look on your next day off because they are sometimes creatures of habbit. Check it in the morning before work and the night time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Here's a trick for ya that hunters use. Get an old alarm clock, the type that takes a single AA battery in the back, tie it to something so it wont be taken. Now tie a small bit of strilg round the battery and the other end of the string to something the fox will want, ie a bone with a bit of meat and when the fox takes it you will know what time because the clock stops.

Do this over a few days and you may get an idea of the time best to look on your next day off because they are sometimes creatures of habbit. Check it in the morning before work and the night time
    thats ingenious!

Any more sightings E39Msport? Did you find a den?

Hi there.

No sign lately and I couldn't find a den when I went over to have a look.

The area seemed well used though. Plenty of well worn tracks etc.

It's not a great place for a fox to be hanging out tbh as my neighbour shoots them for the local game shoots. Might be why I haven't seen her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Probably just using it to lie up during the day, nice dry mound with plenty of cover to hop into, if any sign of danger!
    You,d be better off viewing from a distance if you want the fox to stay around, especially if their is a den and cub's, because the vixen will move them if there's too much disturbance!!

Ta.

There's a fair distance from the house to where I saw her.

She's pretty bold so hope to see her about again soon assuming she's well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement