Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Callows Wader Breeding Project

Options
  • 14-02-2012 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭

Well folks, has anyone volunteered for repairing the predator proof fencing surrounding the breeding grounds in the Callows? I'm volunteering this year, and was just wondering is anyone else going from here, or has anyone else volunteered before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

Did it last year, not the easiest of jobs bending over all day looking for holes in the hen wire but working along side people with the same interest in wildlife as you more than made up for it.
    Don't think I'll have time to do it this year work related, also you couldn't meet a nicer person in Kathryn the woman thats over the project.
    Hope you enjoy it as much as i did :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

I helped build the thing a couple of years ago, which took about a week. So you can curse me when your fixing all the chicken wire :D

The ground can be very boggy so water proof shoes are a must. Also, it is on an island which can only be accessed by boat.

There were a few Curlews and Redshank around, as well as typical wetland birds such as Willow Warbler, Reed Bunting and Water Rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

Also had skylarks doing there singing display on the island last year.

Advertisement