Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No desk in work

Options
  • 14-02-2012 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I started a new job as an intern; this means that I'm not being paid a penny but I 'm happy to get my foot in the door of a company in order to gain experience.

Now here's the thing. I don't have a desk. Everyday I move to the desk of someone who is not in that day. It's literally been a new desk everyday since starting a month ago.

I'm doing my work on my own laptop so I always have a PC to work on.

Is this even legal ? I'm just wondering if the employer is required to give an employee their own space.

Just looking for any opinions.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Of course it's legal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is that your own laptop you're bringing into work?

Are you learning anything in the internship?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,086 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Some firms have that 'fluid desks' idea for the entire workforce, there is a name for it but I can't remember what it is. Doesn't seem the best approach to me but apparently there is some sort of notion of not getting too comfortably stuck in a particular corner!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

looksee wrote: »
    Some firms have that 'fluid desks' idea for the entire workforce, there is a name for it but I can't remember what it is.

Hotdesking. Loads of places do it, especially audit firms where people are in and out of the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Okay just to fill people in on the details

1. The laptop is my own personal laptop. I am fortunate to have software on my computer but I had to pay for this myself.

2. Everyone in the job has their own desk. The desk I'm using belongs to whoever is not in that day. Not only that, but if that person returns from after being out then they get their desk back and I'm left stranded. In one such case, a person was sick for a week. I sat in their place for the whole time they were there. Put in overtime and everything and as soon as they came back, I'm told to find somewhere else.

3. It's an unpaid internship. Not a penny is paid. It's a good learning experience but I find I'm doing the work that no one else does. Typing up stuff, paperwork etc..

4. I provide my own pens, papers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

looksee wrote: »
    Some firms have that 'fluid desks' idea for the entire workforce, there is a name for it but I can't remember what it is. Doesn't seem the best approach to me but apparently there is some sort of notion of not getting too comfortably stuck in a particular corner!

Lots of places implement Hotdesking - especially any places that may have a lot of consultants on their workforce who are more likely to be out on Customer sites for days/ weeks at a time. Cuts down on overheads in terms of Rent / Heat / Light / Equipment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

new worker wrote: »
    laptop is my own personal laptop
    I had to pay for this myself
    It's an unpaid internship
    Not a penny is paid
    I provide my own pens, papers
    How did you get this intern ship, and are you doing what you applied to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,700 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

new worker wrote: »

1. The laptop is my own personal laptop. I am fortunate to have software on my computer but I had to pay for this myself.

4. I provide my own pens, papers

Is that because they specifically told you to bring in your laptop and pens and paper?

Or did you just assume and bring them in anyway? Did you ask the boss where you could find stationery?

A hint for the future: don't turn up at a job with stuff like that. Your employer should be providing the materials you need to do the job.

Advertisement