Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bachelor of Science in Multimedia and Computer Games Development

Options
  • 14-02-2012 4:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Anyone doing this course ? could you tell me what its like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

wnolan1992 should be along in a while, he's doing it at the moment.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

*runs in door*

Phew! I'm here, I'm here! :pac:

First, I'll direct you to this post which hopefully gives an idea of what it's like.

Basically (while trying not to repeat myself), it's a fun course. But it's hard as balls. You need to want to do it. Don't come in expecting to coast along, play a lot of games and get a 2.1. It won't happen. I slacked off last semester, and there's a high possibility I'll be repeating the year because of that one mistake.

I suggest looking at some tutorials on Java programming. Nothing too hectic, they start out from the very basic basic stuff in first year anyway, but it couldn't hurt to have a bit of a headstart.

Also, Maths is important. The minimum requirement IIRC is a B2 in Ordinary Level. That's about right. You'd want at least that, tipping an A in Pass or at least have done Higher maths for a while to be able to do some of the stuff we're doing.

Same invitation as I always put, any specific questions fire away. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 thebadger1986

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    *runs in door*

Phew! I'm here, I'm here! :pac:

First, I'll direct you to this post which hopefully gives an idea of what it's like.

Basically (while trying not to repeat myself), it's a fun course. But it's hard as balls. You need to want to do it. Don't come in expecting to coast along, play a lot of games and get a 2.1. It won't happen. I slacked off last semester, and there's a high possibility I'll be repeating the year because of that one mistake.

I suggest looking at some tutorials on Java programming. Nothing too hectic, they start out from the very basic basic stuff in first year anyway, but it couldn't hurt to have a bit of a headstart.

Also, Maths is important. The minimum requirement IIRC is a B2 in Ordinary Level. That's about right. You'd want at least that, tipping an A in Pass or at least have done Higher maths for a while to be able to do some of the stuff we're doing.

Same invitation as I always put, any specific questions fire away. :)

Cool cheers already have a degree in IT so i know what im in for in the maths department, as for the java should be okay done a bit before so im guessing no harm in brushing up on it :), aye that my plan i dont expect to be out all the time im doin this to have a better future already been in the jobs market and it aint fun being told your degree is basically ****e ^^

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Cool cheers already have a degree in IT so i know what im in for in the maths department, as for the java should be okay done a bit before so im guessing no harm in brushing up on it :), aye that my plan i dont expect to be out all the time im doin this to have a better future already been in the jobs market and it aint fun being told your degree is basically ****e ^^

Ah, you're sorted so! Yeah, if you've done java before, no harm in a little refresher, but it's not strictly necessary, your first two-three weeks in first year will be spent doing the basics, writing methods, loops, if-statements, that sort of thing.

As long as you're willing to work at it then you'll be grand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭shane7218

Hi guys .
    Im hoping to do this course this september and would just like to know if this course give you the qualifications to work as a software engineer in microsoft for example or can you only get a job in the gaming industry. I personally want to work in the gaming industry but want to have my options open. Thanks

• Advertisement

shane7218 wrote: »
    Hi guys .
    Im hoping to do this course this september and would just like to know if this course give you the qualifications to work as a software engineer in microsoft for example or can you only get a job in the gaming industry. I personally want to work in the gaming industry but want to have my options open. Thanks

I'd imagine yes it would. We're pretty similar to Computer Systems course (we share a common first year and have 3-4 of the same modules each semester after that).

I'm open to correction, but I think you'd be qualified to work for them. And a bonus of this course is that it opens up options on the multimedia side of things too, such as dealing with graphics, web design and audio.

ah nice by any chance would you have a list of programs the course uses would like to take a look at them :)

ah nice by any chance would you have a list of programs the course uses would like to take a look at them :)

I sure can. :)

Any questions about any module in first and second year, fire away. :)

and what are the hours like is it fairly intensive like would it be 9-5 monday to friday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PROGRAM_IX

Hey, I'm James, third year.
    shane7218 wrote: »
    Hi guys .

We get a solid grounding in most of the stuff you'd need for that, as opposed to being purely games-focused. Don't pay the Multimedia section too much attention either, it's quite small.

A lot of people complain that we don't do enough games stuff*, and people like you are exactly the reason, as far as I'm concerned. Not everyone is looking to go and make games 24/7 after this. Why specify so tightly when more experience means more opportunities?

I'm in third year, and I love it. There have been annoying modules, but at no point have I ever thought I made a mistake. I'm probably an extreme example, but if you do your work you won't do badly. :)
    and what are the hours like is it fairly intensive like would it be 9-5 monday to friday ?

Not at all. You're looking at around 20 hours altogether a week - lectures, labs and tutorials - and then depending on yourself, another X hours to get all the coursework done. I usually spend maybe...10 extra? It's hard to guess, and of course there's a scale of work from passing to A-grade. If you're talking purely classes, 20 is pretty much as high as you'll go. In first semester of third year we had 19, I think.

There is work though, and if you don't do it, you'll fail or come very close - there's not a good enough grasp of that. wnolan1992 said that it has one of the highest drop-out rates - to my knowledge, it *is* the highest. But I don't think that should discourage ye, more encourage proper research of what your course is going to be like. This thread constitutes proper research. :) Every year there are a few people who go 'woo, games, let's go eejit around for 4 years' and those are the people you won't see more than a few times. But if you know what you're getting in for, I think there are a few pleasant surprises in your future, especially in terms of the people you'll meet.

Anyway apologies for the wall of text. Hope it's helpful some way.

*Which is a WHOLE other rant. >.>

• Advertisement

lol thats less than my first degree, but ya i know what you mean about extra work it pays of, i think its kinda the same for nearly every computer class i seen it with my own aswell and the software side of our course.

Now all i gotta do is get sorted with what i can apply for grants wise an i should be flyin hopefully :(:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PROGRAM_IX

You sound like you're more than capable of doing well. :) Don't get caught if it starts off easy though - it can jump in difficulty sometimes if you're not watching.

Yep, PROGRAM IX pretty much sums it up. To clarify, I wasn't trying to discourage people by citing the dropout rates, it's just something to be aware of.

And a +1 to the don't be caught out by it being easy. The jump from 1st to 2nd year is something I'm still finding difficult.

But to be honest, if you've read what we've posted and are still interested, and understand that is a lot of work, then you'll be fine. It's a very doable and enjoyable course if you're willing to put in the work and are genuinely interested. :)

Advertisement