Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Year Project Advice

Options
  • 14-02-2012 3:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone,
    I was just wondering could somebody tell me in which direction I should take with my FYP developing a HR/Recruitment website. I have so far just started and I am able to register,login and validate clients access to the website using java, jsp connected to a mysql database.
    The question I have is what options do I have to design the UI of the site,giving it a formal look?
    I am not the strongest of programmers and Im unable to decide on the various technologies and languages I could use that are available!
    any help would be very much appreciated.
    Regards,
    Matthew.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭deco_b

you could perhaps look at using a decoration framework such as http://www.sitemesh.org/overview.html
    basically you create a template for your UI for example header, navigation & footer. all pages can then use the template to give a consistent look and feel
    have a look around for a free css template to suit your needs. somewhere like http://themeforest.net/ offer free templates sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johngummidge

thanks deco

no problem i've been there before (with 3rd and 4th year projects)
    assuming you will be looking for a graduate position when you finish i'd recommend a few things to try use in your project
    1. an IDE e.g eclipse \ intellij \ netbeans
    2. maven
    3. an mvc framework, would recommend spring mvc
    4. write unit test

i can send you on a working example of what i mentioned in previous post

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johngummidge

Deco,
    Thanks again for the suggestions.I am using eclipse IDE framework and struts2 so far.Im unsure what else I should use!
    And yes deco hopefully I can finish off the year with a 2.1 and look into a job after,struggling though at the moment as I am finding the programming of this project quite tough.Im mainly pulling the strings with other non-technical subjects!!
    If you could send me on that working example that would be great,im sure it will help to guide me in the right direction!!My email is mattymufc88@hotmail.com
    Regards:)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Smithy2306

I find netbeans the best for web projects and it comes with the Glassfish application server in the installation. Your looking at HTML5, CSS, JSP, SQL (I would use MySql community server and MySql workbench to design the database schema) and possibly JPA if you have the time, although you will get away with JSP, I just find it messy to use. I am presuming your using Java here and if you are look into how servlets work if you haven't already. Just my 2 cents.

• Advertisement

you can download that sample project here
    it's only a small demo of the concept behind sitemesh (i used the latest version)
    you'll need to install maven to build it then run
    mvn clean package

this will output a war file that can be deployed on your servlet container

Advertisement