Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Informal Offers

Options
  • 14-02-2012 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hey Maturies,

So I am wondering about informal offers & when do we get them?
    Are they via email, post phone call etc?

It would be interesting to know a timeline to see when people are getting offers for each Uni etc...

Ive applied to TCD, UCD, DCU & DIT.

Would be interesting to know if you get offers before CAO and at what dates etc...

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭antkeane

No ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Didn't get an offer from UCD or TCD until April/May. (Had to interview for TCD first).

The offer was made by post. You replied to say if you accepted or not and then selected the course on your CAO when the offers came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

From CAO handbook:
    Round A
    In early July, offers of places may be issued to applicants such as :deferred applicants; mature applicants;mature nursing/midwifery code applicants; those who need to make visa arrangements before taking up a place.
    Round Zero
    In early August there may be an issue of offers of places which go to certain categories of applicant who are not competing with those awaiting 2012 examination results or who are assessed on other criteria, i.e. graduate entry medicine applicants, additional mature applicants and applicants presenting FETAC (2002-2012) for consideration for entry to courses with a quota for FETAC applicants may also be included at this stage.
    Round One
    Issue of the main body of offers takes place as soon as possible after Irish Leaving Certificate Examination results become available. This is normally within a week of the issue of results to candidates, in mid-August. At the same time as first round offers of places are issued to successful applicants, notices are sent to those who do not receive any offer.
    Round Two
    A second round of offers will be issued, usually in late August/early September, to fill any remaining vacancies. After Round TwoThereafter, offers will be issued as necessary until October to fill any vacancies which may arise.

The earliest you can get a formal offer is early July. Colleges can sometimes tell you if you have a course place informally before that.

paperclip2 wrote: »
    From CAO handbook:

The earliest you can get a formal offer is early July. Colleges can sometimes tell you if you have a course place informally before that.

Yeah, I read that stuff. Im just looking at a time line for matures. I know we get it a lot earlier via informal. So I'm looking at that stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Danny911

Didn't know there was informal offers I thought you had to wait until July when they make the formal offers, do all colleges and universities do this? NUI Galway too?

Cheers..

• Advertisement

From what I hear in my college all of us maturies will know where we are going by the end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

antkeane wrote: »
    From what I hear in my college all of us maturies will know where we are going by the end of May.

Yea heard it's common for institutions to process mature's first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

You get official offers in July, but informal ones in late May iirc. It's definitely before the "change of mind" option with the CAO, they send you out a letter letting you know that you will be offered a place, and I suppose it's so that you can bump up a course in your CAO preferences if you would prefer to go to that college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yea heard it's common for institutions to process mature's first.

They definitely do. Matures are offered places before the leaving cert starts. It might be something to do with how mature placements will affect the final round of points required for each course.

Advertisement