Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey Stones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Actually saw these in a tourist shop in Reykjavik.

Have you tried a few of the gadget shops? They're not under the name "whiskey stones" though. I think it's just a gimmick to sell them to whiskey drinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

Looks like a handy way to crack a glass

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

See thread here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

cold is the enemy of taste

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

cold is the enemy of taste

not necessarily. Sometimes ice will reduce some of the more unpleasant tastes, revealing some more subtle ones. Not in every whiskey though.

Plus, you should always drink your drink in the way you enjoy it most, and damn the naysayers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

Well siad if you want to put coke in your whisky the go ahead just keep mine neat androom temp please

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

not necessarily. Sometimes ice will reduce some of the more unpleasant tastes, revealing some more subtle ones. Not in every whiskey though.

Plus, you should always drink your drink in the way you enjoy it most, and damn the naysayers.

Disagree, if you want to water down your whiskey use water, the ice interferes too much with the flavours and the drink will gradually get weaker as you drink it. At least with water you will get the same strength the whole way through.

It may be ok with a cheap blended whiskey that tastes terrible anyway but with any sort of decent whiskey I wouldn't go near ice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

You can put the bottle in the fridge or freezer if you want to reduce the temperature without diluting. Or put some glasses in the freezer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

adrian522 wrote: »

Disagree, if you want to water down your whiskey use water, the ice interferes too much with the flavours and the drink will gradually get weaker as you drink it. At least with water you will get the same strength the whole way through.

It may be ok with a cheap blended whiskey that tastes terrible anyway but with any sort of decent whiskey I wouldn't go near ice.

Well you are entitled to your opinion and I think you should drink whatever you like however you like. I hate the preachy narrow view that whiskey should be drunk in only one way ie with room temp water for everyone. But that is also the same orthodoxy that single malt = good blend = bad and discourages experimentation.

The thing I like about whiskey is the endless variety of ways one can drink it. Again "interferes too much with the flavours" is so nebulous. Water and ice in different quantities and neat all serve to highlight different flavours. For example, a small amount of ice in a rb 12 will bring out the vanilla, oak and sweet oils. You can also let it warm up again on your tongue and let the peppery flavours build up slowly.

But you know if someone has told you that usually a drop of room temp water is the standard way of tasting whiskey you should take that as gospel and never adapt your tasting habits. Otherwise, Richard Paterson might poke yer eyes out

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

If people pay for whiskey, they can do anything they want with it. If they get something from mixing with coke, sure let them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well you are entitled to your opinion and I think you should drink whatever you like however you like. I hate the preachy narrow view that whiskey should be drunk in only one way ie with room temp water for everyone. But that is also the same orthodoxy that single malt = good blend = bad and discourages experimentation.

The thing I like about whiskey is the endless variety of ways one can drink it. Again "interferes too much with the flavours" is so nebulous. Water and ice in different quantities and neat all serve to highlight different flavours. For example, a small amount of ice in a rb 12 will bring out the vanilla, oak and sweet oils. You can also let it warm up again on your tongue and let the peppery flavours build up slowly.

But you know if someone has told you that usually a drop of room temp water is the standard way of tasting whiskey you should take that as gospel and never adapt your tasting habits. Otherwise, Richard Paterson might poke yer eyes out

Well I wasn't being preachy, I'm just stating the fact that if you put ice on your drink it will interfere with the flavour and dilute the drink.

I'm not saying you can only drink it one way, but you will get more from the drink if you attempt to taste it rather than try to mask the taste by making it extremely cold.

It's the same with beer, you can make the most horrible beer palatable if you make it cold enough but you are missing out on a lot of the flavour when you do that.

I also never mentioned anything about blends being inferior to single malts but you obviously like putting words in my mouth. :confused:

I have to disagree that ice will bring out vanilla, oak and sweet oils. If anything that particular whiskey is at its best without any water, but each to their own I guess.

I find your last paragraph very condescending and insulting, I don't take anything as gospel and its not a case of being told what's right or wrong, it's just happens to be what works best. Also I don't know who Richard Paterson is

As I said before nothing wrong with throwing a bit of ice into the cheaper whiskeys put if you have a decent dram I don't think its for the best. But at the end of the day if that's what floats your boat go for it, I think its a bit of a waste.

Well I wasn't being preachy, I'm just stating the fact that if you put ice on your drink it will interfere with the flavour and dilute the drink.

As will water, which you advocate.
    I'm not saying you can only drink it one way, but you will get more from the drink if you attempt to taste it rather than try to mask the taste by making it extremely cold.

Ice doesn't mask the taste, it changes it. Usually it will mask the harsher flavours giving rise to the more subtle flavours. I fail to see how suggesting that you should try each whiskey in a number of different ways is failing to attempt to taste the whiskey. If anything, you learn a whole lot more about whisky by trying it in a number of different ways, side by side.
    It's the same with beer, you can make the most horrible beer palatable if you make it cold enough but you are missing out on a lot of the flavour when you do that.

Are you suggesting therefore that all cold beers taste the same and all warm beers taste different? Or perhaps that the only way to drink beer is to drink it warm? I can't agree with that. You shouldn't go on what people tell you the correct way to drink something is, you should adapt it and see what you like.
    I also never mentioned anything about blends being inferior to single malts but you obviously like putting words in my mouth. :confused:

I didn't say that you did, but you were alluding to the inferiority of blends when you suggested that ice should be used in cheap blends. It's a fairly common misconception that single malts are superior to blends, just as it is that ice in whiskey is a bad thing. It might often be the case, but to simply dismiss it is in my view a common but unfortunate view.
    I have to disagree that ice will bring out vanilla, oak and sweet oils. If anything that particular whiskey is at its best without any water, but each to their own I guess.

Have you tried it with ice? Have you tried neat, watered and iced red breast side to side?
    I find your last paragraph very condescending and insulting, I don't take anything as gospel and its not a case of being told what's right or wrong, it's just happens to be what works best. Also I don't know who Richard Paterson is

Not always and not for everyone. I find it ironic that you think my views are condescending when I, unlike you, make no claims to any one way of tasting whiskey as being better than another. Particularly when my comments were in response to someone who suggested that cold was the "enemy" of taste.
    As I said before nothing wrong with throwing a bit of ice into the cheaper whiskeys put if you have a decent dram I don't think its for the best. But at the end of the day if that's what floats your boat go for it, I think its a bit of a waste.

Again, your view seems to be that there is only one way to drink "a decent dram" yet my views are condescending? All I'm saying is that you should try a number of different whiskies in a number of different ways without any preconception of what is the correct way to drink a "decent dram". If people approach whiskey with an open mind, they will often find many surprises.

As will water, which you advocate.

Yes, but without affecting the temperature. So you get a whole load of additional flavours (depending on the whisky), but without making it very cold which is the effect ice will have, which in turn will actually dull the flavour.

Also with ice you are not really in control of how diluted the whiskey gets, at first it will only slightly dilute the whiskey but as you drink it and the ice melts the whiskey will get gradually weaker, depending on how much ice you use. When you mix with water you don't have these problems.
    Ice doesn't mask the taste, it changes it. Usually it will mask the harsher flavours giving rise to the more subtle flavours.

Well I just have to disagree with this statement , I guess this is just where you and I differ.
    I fail to see how suggesting that you should try each whiskey in a number of different ways is failing to attempt to taste the whiskey. If anything, you learn a whole lot more about whisky by trying it in a number of different ways, side by side.

I agree up to a point, I think you should taste it neat and with a little water. I don't think adding ice is of any benefit as I have tried to explain above. If it works for you by all means give it a go but for me it has never added anything.

Perhaps you do Are you suggesting therefore that all cold beers taste the same and all warm beers taste different? Or perhaps that the only way to drink beer is to drink it warm? I can't agree with that.

No, I'm not suggesting that at all but I am suggesting that when a beer reaches a certain temperature you lose a lot of the individual flavour of that particular beer. For example if you take a great craft beer and drink at about 7 degrees you will get a lot more from it than if you were to cool it to about 2 or 3 degrees. Again this has just been my experience, and I think the same applies to good white wine, if you cool it too much you lose a lot of what made it a great wine in the first place.

You shouldn't go on what people tell you the correct way to drink something is, you should adapt it and see what you like.

Agreed and I don't. You shouldn't assume that just because I don't like ice in my whiskey that I'm going on what someone told me the "correct" way to drink it is.
    I didn't say that you did, but you were alluding to the inferiority of blends when you suggested that ice should be used in cheap blends.

Not really I was really talking about drinking something like Powers, Jameson, Teachers etc. When I'm drinking one of those, usually in a pub I'll sometimes add ice as I find them quite harsh otherwise. I think they are in a whole different category to what I'd normally drink at home for example. Also I don't think there is such a wonderful degree of different flavours to be discerned in these whiskies anyway.

I didn't mean to suggest that all blends are inferior to all single malt or pot still whiskies. Some very good blends out there certainly.
    It's a fairly common misconception that single malts are superior to blends, just as it is that ice in whiskey is a bad thing. It might often be the case, but to simply dismiss it is in my view a common but unfortunate view.

Not sure what you're getting at here. As I've said above it really depends on the whisky and not if it's a blend or not.

Have you tried it with ice? Have you tried neat, watered and iced red breast side to side?

Yes, well not side by side but certainly I've had that whiskey all of those ways. I've never added coke, ginger ale or red bull though maybe I should if I wanted to try it in even more ways, but personally I prefer it neat.

Not always and not for everyone. I find it ironic that you think my views are condescending when I, unlike you, make no claims to any one way of tasting whiskey as being better than another. Particularly when my comments were in response to someone who suggested that cold was the "enemy" of taste.

Well you were being very condescending and very patronising in that comment, you made a whole lot of assumptions about me based on 1 simple comment, which I think is wrong.

I never took anything as gospel and everything I learned about this great drink has been through first hand experience.

The line about Richard Paterson poking my eyes out was a bit OTT to my mind. Maybe you have some problem with this guy? Personally I don't know who he is.
    Again, your view seems to be that there is only one way to drink "a decent dram" yet my views are condescending? All I'm saying is that you should try a number of different whiskies in a number of different ways without any preconception of what is the correct way to drink a "decent dram". If people approach whiskey with an open mind, they will often find many surprises.

Not true, there are least 2. I'm not preaching to anyone I merely disagreed with your view of adding ice to whiskey will somehow improve it's flavour which I think is nonsense.

I don't know where you are getting this idea that I have some preconception about some "right way" to drink it. I have a perfectly open mind, I just happen to think that adding ice takes away from rather than adds to the drink.

Well you were being very condescending and very patronising in that comment, you made a whole lot of assumptions about me based on 1 simple comment, which I think is wrong.

I said that you should drink your whiskey whatever way you want and try different ways. You said that this was wrong and have even said that you think my view is "nonsense". And you think I'm the condescending one?

As for the rest of your comments, if you agree with me that everyone should make up their own minds about how to drink whiskey, then stop insisting that adding ice is wrong. You can't have it both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

This old chestnut again.

I said that you should drink your whiskey whatever way you want and try different ways. You said that this was wrong and have even said that you think my view is "nonsense". And you think I'm the condescending one?

As for the rest of your comments, if you agree with me that everyone should make up their own minds about how to drink whiskey, then stop insisting that adding ice is wrong. You can't have it both ways.

I'm not saying it's "wrong". I've never said it's wrong. Quote me where I said it was wrong.

I merely said it doesn't work for me, and you seem to have taken serious exception to that for what reason I don't know.

It is not wrong, do what ever works best for you but adding ice will inhibit the flavour of the drink. If you prefer a cold drink then add ice, I have no problem with that, but IMO it would be a bit of waste on a particularly good bottle.

Edit: Also what I said was nonsense was that you could improve or enhance the flavour by adding ice (as opposed to water) which I stand by.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Thread resurrection.

Not hear to argue, just want some candid feedback on whiskey stones.
    I prefer American/bourbon and with ice.
    I've been trying some new varieties and want to see if taking them cold (undiluted) will bring anything new to the fold.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thread resurrection.

Not hear to argue, just want some candid feedback on whiskey stones.
    I prefer American/bourbon and with ice.
    I've been trying some new varieties and want to see if taking them cold (undiluted) will bring anything new to the fold.

Bottle in the fridge. Cheaper than buying these gimmicks and more effective too. These simply do not get cold enough to cool the fluid you put them in to - ice melting is an endothermic reaction which cools far quicker.

Advertisement