Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times Flash Fiction

Options
  • 13-02-2012 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Just wondering, if anyone submitted to the Times Flash Fiction, how long did it take them to get back to you, and do they tell you if they're not going to print your story?
    I submitted about 4 weeks ago, haven't heard back, and I'd like to submit my stories elsewhere. Don't mind waiting if I know how long it could be. Do the Times give a payment for getting published?

Thanks in advance to any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I submitted immediately after they announced they were accepting flash fictions and I never heard back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Coffeeapple

They don't contact you. I was printed, but only found out when I happened to see the title of my piece when I was browsing the paper a week after submitting it. It was a nice surprise! Best thing to do is google your name/pen name and see if it comes up.

A guy with my real name is regularly discussed in the Irish Times :'(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Antilles wrote: »

Google a line from your story then. That could bring it up if they printed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

I submitted immediately after they announced they were accepting flash fictions and I never heard back.

That's a little rude isn't it? I understand that they may get a lot of submissions, but it would be better to get a standard form response than nothing at all. The waiting is the worst, especially if you haven't simultaneously submitted somewhere else.

• Advertisement

diddlybit wrote: »

That's a little rude isn't it? I understand that they may get a lot of submissions, but it would be better to get a standard form response than nothing at all. The waiting is the worst, especially if you haven't simultaneously submitted somewhere else.

Yeah a response would be nice, but it's flash fiction, not a novel so I guess it's not a priority for them. To be honest I'm more surprised they don't contact you if your submission is accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

Your name is Barry O'Bama isn't it. How unfortunate :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Yeah a response would be nice, but it's flash fiction, not a novel so I guess it's not a priority for them. To be honest I'm more surprised they don't contact you if your submission is accepted.

Yeah, that's quite surprising. Even an acknowledgment of receipt would do to stop the niggling suspicions that it might be "lost in the post"or "floating in the electronic ether".

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

heres another flash fiction opening with an Oscar Wilde twist

http://oscarwildefanclub.com/calling-all-flash-fiction-writers-wilde-based-flash-fiction-stories-needed/

anybody interested in submitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

What would Oscar have to say about a site in his name where they don't know the difference between your and you're?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Are the Times still running this feature?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Can anyone tell me if submissions are still being accepted for the flash fiction in the Irish Times

Advertisement