Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Polishers in Dublin

Options
  • 13-02-2012 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi

I have just got a new banisters in my house and would like to get this French Polished. Anyone know good French Polishers in Dublin. I have two numbers that I found on the web both said they would come out and have a look but have not heard back from them at all.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

French polish finish on a wooden stairs is probably the worst finish to use there.

Stair cases would be considered a high traffic item, and french polish would be a poor choice in such an area. It would degrade in a very short spece of time. Its not hardwaring, and does not fare well if the finish gets moist at all. Normal wear and tear will wreak havoc on the finish.

Its an absolutely lustrous finish, but not for a staircase. Any body that would quote for this, and not point this out, is either lacking in his knowledge of a true french polish finish. Or is going to take you to the cleaners for the expertise aspect of the application of this type of finish.

There are now a numerous array of equally lustrous finishes that would be better suited, personally I would source a different finish. But it is your choice.

Hope this helps.:)

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

kadman wrote: »
    French polish finish on a wooden stairs is probably the worst finish to use there.

Stair cases would be considered a high traffic item, and french polish would be a poor choice in such an area. It would degrade in a very short spece of time. Its not hardwaring, and does not fare well if the finish gets moist at all. Normal wear and tear will wreak havoc on the finish.

Its an absolutely lustrous finish, but not for a staircase. Any body that would quote for this, and not point this out, is either lacking in his knowledge of a true french polish finish. Or is going to take you to the cleaners for the expertise aspect of the application of this type of finish.

There are now a numerous array of equally lustrous finishes that would be better suited, personally I would source a different finish. But it is your choice.

Hope this helps.:)

kadman

;) Couldn't agree more. In this day and age you can get the look of a french polish but with far greater resistance to wear.Stain the handrail and apply about 3 coats of a varnish.The trick with varnishing is to invest in a good quality brush which will give a finish almost as good as spraying.

Advertisement