Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do I need to get car serviced?

Options
  • 13-02-2012 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

I bought a new 2011 reg 1.2 TSI Golf last January. The car is running fine. Every month I check the oil, etc. Everything seems to be OK (with the limited car knowlege I have).

I suppose the norm is to get your car serviced every year.

When I got the car, the garage put a sticker on the car: "next service 15Km". I only did 6Km last year.

Could I get away with leaving the service to 2013?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

No you must service it now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

paultf wrote: »
    I bought a new 2011 reg 1.2 TSI Golf last January. The car is running fine. Every month I check the oil, etc. Everything seems to be OK (with the limited car knowlege I have).

When I got the car, the garage put a sticker on the car: "next service 15Km". I only did 6Km last year.

Assuming the car isn't on longlife servicing (which won't suit you if you're only doing 6k a year) the service limit will either be distance or elapsed-time based, i.e. it's probably 15000 km or 1 year, whichever comes first. Either way, it will be stipulated in the service record book. If you don't service the car according to the schedule and spec. then your warranty could be voided.

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Thanks for the info.

I kinda half-knew I would have to do it. Just checking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

The sticker means every 15k km or 1 year, whichever comes first.

I know the mileage is very low but to keep the warranty it would be best to get it serviced. It should only be an oil change at that mileage anyway so won't cost the earth. A lot of the dealers are doing deals at the moment so see can you get it done on one of those.

I bought a new 2011 reg 1.2 TSI Golf last January. ....................... "next service 15Km". I only did 6Km last year.

Nothing to gain apart from the (small) service cost and avoiding the (possibly not too bad) inconvenience so I'd get it done to protect your investment :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You bought a brand new car and you you're debating about an annual service or not?

This is why Irish people like to import, across the pond they value their cars and the history. It makes a difference for resale!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

As the others have said, get it done asap.

The absolute maximum a car should go without the oil being changed is one year, even with the low mileage you've done. Since you bought the car in Januarry your car is actually one month overdue its service:).

I think the way it works on the VW warranty is that I have to get the car serviced in a VW garage.

For various reasons I don't want to go to my local VW garage.

The VW dealer I got the car from gave me a better deal and even though it involved a 3 hour round trip, it was worth it. So for servicing I will go to him.

That's part of the reason why I asked could I put the service off for another year - I wanted to avoid the 3 hour trip.

smash wrote: »
    You bought a brand new car and you you're debating about an annual service or not?

This is why Irish people like to import, across the pond they value their cars and the history. It makes a difference for resale!

I've never once been asked for a service history when looking at newer cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Ignore the sticker on the window / door frame, and have a look in the service part of the driver's hand book.

If it left the factory on long life intervals, it could be 2 years or 30,000km to keep up the warranty.

Wouldn't do it any harm to be seen to after a year though..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

EPM wrote: »

But if it doesnt have one now.... can you back date it when its older :rolleyes:..................

I think the way it works on the VW warranty is that I have to get the car serviced in a VW garage.

For various reasons I don't want to go to my local VW garage.

The VW dealer I got the car from gave me a better deal and even though it involved a 3 hour round trip, it was worth it. So for servicing I will go to him.

That's part of the reason why I asked could I put the service off for another year - I wanted to avoid the 3 hour trip.

You are not required to get it serviced by a VW dealer to keep the warranty, but you are required to use genuine VW parts.

I'd still get it done at a main dealer for the first few years though, if anything went wrong outside of warranty you've a better chance of getting a goodwill payment if you can show to them that the car has a full main dealer history:)!

listermint wrote: »
    But if it doesnt have one now.... can you back date it when its older :rolleyes:..................

:confused:

I'm on about dealers looking for my service history:) I usually try get it in there, receipts for absolutely everything are in the folder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

You are not required to get it serviced by a VW dealer to keep the warranty, but you are required to use genuine VW parts.

I'd still get it done at a main dealer for the first few years though, if anything went wrong outside of warranty you've a better chance of getting a goodwill payment if you can show to them that the car has a full main dealer history:)!

No your not....

No your not....

I thought you could get a car serviced by a non authorised dealer within the warranty period and the warranty had to remain valid as long as they did the service the official manufacturer's parts and fluids:confused:?

I thought you could get a car serviced by a non authorised dealer within the warranty period and the warranty had to remain valid as long as they did the service the official manufacturer's parts and fluids:confused:?

.... sure a Mann filter our of a Mann box and a VW box are the same thing :)
    (not saying they use Mann filters, just an example)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

EPM wrote: »

Thats because people arent looking for them when buying. If cars without histories were left sitting on forecourts you'd start to see cars histories being kept better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Essentially yes, you do not have to use franchised main dealer servicing to maintain the warranty but the manufacturer-stipulated procedures and standards for consumables must be provably adhered to.

In practice, however, finding an independent servicing agent who will demonstrably meet all the criteria and have the relevant fault readers etc. is very difficult and you can kiss goodbye to any goodwill after the warranty period if the car has been serviced outside of the network. Some manufacturers do not accept trade-ins at anything more than auction prices unless there is a full main dealer history.

My personal view is that, for a new car, it's probably worth gritting your teeth and getting the main dealer servicing done for main services up to and including the first one after warranty expiry. To save money get items such as bulbs, wipers etc. done at independents, fill your screenwash before you go and do not allow the dealer to charge for items such as "greasing door hinges" which you can do yourself in seconds.

SSE

No, Once the service is done as per the manufacturers scheduals, using OE specification parts and oils then the standard manufacturers warranty is, legally, unaffected.

Got the car serviced in the local VW garage today. On the phone I was quoted ~€140. I found a cheaper place but would involve travelling.

With info from this thread I had the screenwash filled in advance! I was first in this morning. Talking to the receptionist who was booking me in, I told her that I didn't want small things done on the car that I can do myself. She marked "No Screenwash" on my booking form. She asked did I need wipers - "No", I said.

When the service manager arrived, the receptionist told him I didn't want screenwash. She then asked me did I want my wheels alternated. I told the service manager I only wanted a basic service with no small things thrown in . So he said "Oil and Filter".

2 hours later I picked the car up. Is this an OK price?
    • Oil €55
    • Environmental disposal waste €6.50
    • Sump stud washer €0.60
    • Oil Filter €8.93
    Total Parts €71.03
    Total Labour €65.00
    Total Cost €154.41

Maintenace List
    * Engine oil: drain or extract, renew oil filter Rectified
    * Engine oil: Replenish Completed
    * Thickness of brake pads/linings & condition of brake discs Visual Check
    * Resetting service interval Rectified
    * Service interval display: Recode Rectified
    * "Your next services" sticker, attach to driver side Rectified

Service manager signs off and in handwriting:

* "Change oil & filter"
    * "Adjust driver door"

I didn't realise there was anything wrong with door!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's saucy out for an oil and filter to be honest. €55 for oil is steep, the 1 hours labour charge is standard enough for mini service.

For the exact same thing in my place its €65 and I doubt many other Independant garages would be much more.

.....And you wouldn't have to pay for screen wash.:rolleyes:

For the exact same thing in my place its €65 and I doubt many other Independant garages would be much more.

.....And you wouldn't have to pay for screen wash.:rolleyes:

I know what you mean.

I was pushed into going to a VW garage to keep the warranty alive for another year. Next year, when the warranty is up, I'll be back to my local garage.

I know what you mean.

I was pushed into going to a VW garage to keep the warranty alive for another year. Next year, when the warranty is up, I'll be back to my local garage.

Thats been covered already in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

I just had a full service done 2 days ago for my Passat 1.6 petrol and it costed me 105 euro at my mechanic all inculded.

Oil "Mobil 10w40 Semi sintetch"= 22 euro for 5 liters.
    Oil filter, spark plugs, air filter, geniun Volkswagen parts= 53 euro at Volkswagen dealer.
    and labour 30 euro at my mechanic.

Delighted :)

Thou thigns such as checking break fluid and screen wash wasnt done cause I can check those things my self ;). And as well pollen filter was changed last year so i only cleaned it a bit and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭questionquick

Fully synthetic oil would cost a fair bit more, presuming they would use this on a 1 year old car? Or is that wishful thinking.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Can people post where they got their services done above. Would like to know for future reference!

Bobo78 wrote: »
    I just had a full service done 2 days ago for my Passat 1.6 petrol and it costed me 105 euro at my mechanic all inculded.

Oil "Mobil 10w40 Semi sintetch"= 22 euro for 5 liters.
    Oil filter, spark plugs, air filter, geniun Volkswagen parts= 53 euro at Volkswagen dealer.
    and labour 30 euro at my mechanic.

Delighted :)

Thou thigns such as checking break fluid and screen wash wasnt done cause I can check those things my self ;). And as well pollen filter was changed last year so i only cleaned it a bit and that was it.

You didn't have a full service done at all, you just had oil/oil filter, air filter and plugs fitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

What would you consider full service? What else do you think should ve be done? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Bobo78 wrote: »
    What would you consider full service? What else do you think should ve be done? :)

/gets popcorn.

Advertisement