Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I will pray for you?

Options
  • 13-02-2012 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭

Quick question.

Over in the Christianity forum, I have seen posters write 'I will pray for you'.

How does this work? I mean, my name is not joseph brand, I just picked it because when shortened, it becomes Jo Brand, get it? /tumbleweed.

If a poster wanted to pray for me, would they be praying for joseph? Or would they just say a prayer, thinking of me? (doesn't even know me, or my name).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Well......................

It doesn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It's just a thing they do to annoy you and/or be condescending. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

well... It doesn't work but lets for the time being assume the position of someone that believes that there is at least one magical entity that they can ask to do things...
    No... Lets imagine that you're both children in a school yard, you see an other child fall down and you go and get a teacher to help, you don't need to know who the child is, what their name is, what class they are in... All you're doing is saying that boy over there fell down and hurt his knee, help him!
    The teacher sees the boy on the ground bleeding and goes to help him, which he should have done anyway if he'd noticed...
    The teacher is taller than the child and sees everything that happens in the yard. Sometimes kids fall down, get up and brush themselves off. Sometimes they are injured... but some kids always want to tell the teacher.

Um anyway the point is if God see everything and knows every then he's smart enough to know who they mean when they say "please make sure That Guy from the internet is ok"
    but also he would already have seen your problem and either have done something to help or not based on his "mysterious ways".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Galvasean wrote: »
    It's just a thing they do to annoy you and/or be condescending. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I find that when someone religious says it to an Atheist, it sounds very condescending and arrogant. A Catholic just said to me today, ". . .just say 'I'll pray for you' to an Atheist, they hate that, ha ha".
    My reply was that god made Atheists. (false statement) I didn't want an argument. Bad hangover.

But when they say it to each other over in that other forum, I don't believe they actually pray. I reckon, and I could be wrong, that it's like people using 'lol'. Just throw it in at the end of your post. It's like their Christian stamp.

I know it doesn't work, but I also think it's a White lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Dearest Christ, please take a moment out of your busy day saving starving Africans( lol) to help bmwlover345 get his wife pregnant.

Amen

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

When I was a kid I used to think that praying was like making a phone call. Once you'd made the sign of the cross that meant you were ''connected'', then once you'd finished and made the sign of the cross again that meant you'd ''hung up''.

And all that time there was no one on the other side!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,167 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Quick question.

Over in the Christianity forum, I have seen posters write 'I will pray for you'.

How does this work? I mean, my name is not joseph brand, I just picked it because when shortened, it becomes Jo Brand, get it? /tumbleweed.

If a poster wanted to pray for me, would they be praying for joseph? Or would they just say a prayer, thinking of me? (doesn't even know me, or my name).
    Why do you think this would be a problem? Those who think that prayer has any validity or effect at all do not think that its validity or effect depends on the person praying knowing the correct or full name of the person being prayed for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Well I imagine God, who is supposed to be everywhere and all knowing, would be able to figure out how they are talking about when they say they are going to pray for Zombrex. It is not like an email address, get one letter wrong and the whole thing is rejected.

Of course the idea that an omnipotent being would listen to us through prayer is ridiculous. But then that is because the idea was invented by ancient mankind, who really didn't think about it all that well.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

AIUI, they hold you, meaning your username, in their minds while they pray and the Big Beardy Guy knows who you really are because he knows everything.

My mum likes to say 'I'll pray for you' with a wee smirk because she's teasing the atheist. I usually reply with 'Grand, if it makes you feel better' because we all know that that's what praying is about - not actually doing anything to help, but feeling like you did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

When I was a kid I used to think that praying was like making a phone call. Once you'd made the sign of the cross that meant you were ''connected'', then once you'd finished and made the sign of the cross again that meant you'd ''hung up''.

When I was a kid and there was quiet prayer time in school I used to 'pray' "Dear God, I hope you are well, and Jesus, and Mary and all the saints... I got some new crayons today...etc" cos I figured that all the guy heard all day was people asking him for jobs and babies and to cure sick people, and I thought he'd probably like someone to ask him how his day was going for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

It's just a meaningless worthless slightly tedious expression. It makes they prayee think they're doing something good/useful, as opposed to just talking to themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

"i'll pray that everyone eventually thinks the same way i do because im right"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

bluewolf wrote: »
    "i'll pray that everyone eventually thinks the same way i do because im right"
    When lifes darkness takes it's flight..a Witch's Prayer returns the light.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

okay

bluewolf wrote: »
    okay
    The traitor is dead, Pray for him. i have come now to ask. raise your Black Hand!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

RichieC wrote: »
    Dearest Christ, please take a moment out of your busy day saving starving Africans( lol) to help bmwlover345 get his wife pregnant.

Amen
    I prefer the "thank you god for taking the time out of your busy day allowing 3000 kids to die from malaria, countless others to die from a variety of other diseases, yet more to die in conflicts because you can't write a fcuking book in such a way that people agree what it means and allowing natural disasters to kill hundreds of thousands to help me score a goal in a football match. Your're the best!"

MrP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

change your name to lucifer. see how god copes with *that* prayer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

dead one wrote: »
    The traitor is dead, Pray for him. i have come now to ask. raise your Black Hand!"
    dead-one -- your posts are not contributing to this thread.

Please make some contribution to one side or the other of this debate, or refrain from posting.

thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you a servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor?

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    dead-one -- your posts are not contributing to this thread.
    robin, get some manner, and don't interrupt when two elders dragon are speaking. It's a joke and Dades, the hell guardian, allowed it, Lighten up!!!. He doesn't have problem with jokes. See below post.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76843995&postcount=135
    magic wrote: »
    are you a servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor?

We the Dark Angels, we work for darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

We the Dark Angels, we work for darkness.

Considering the ignorant and moronic superstitions you peddle around here that is the truest staement you have uttered yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'd expect a solicitor's letter from Games Workshop on the Dark Angels thing, dead one. They see all!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

robin, get some manner, and don't interrupt when two elders dragon are speaking. It's a joke and Dades, the hell guardian, allowed it, Lighten up!!!. He doesn't have problem with jokes. See below post.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76843995&postcount=135
    A joke is something that people at least understand and even find amusing.

Just so you know - you've used up your "useless post quota" for this thread. No more.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

When lifes darkness takes it's flight..a Witch's Prayer returns the light.

In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No evil shall escape my sight
    Let those who worship evil's might,
    Beware my power... Green Lantern's light!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Just demand that if they do pray that you need at least 2 full Rosary's said, that should keep them busy for a while, but ya know they'll love the misery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I've had people pray for me. It's a nice gesture, I guess but always makes me feel awkward. One girl actually said a prayer for me in the middle of the pub :eek:

On Facebook, a very few of my friends/family come out with the occasional mention of a deity and all that religious stuff. I tend to keep quiet. It's more their friends who post the really odd "God's Law must be obeyed" statements, that I really want to comment on but I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You can't prove there was no god listening. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

You can't prove there was no god listening. :mad:

Depends if there was heavy breathing going on...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

may the force be with you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement