Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question about Polish history

Options
  • 12-02-2012 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Does the arrival of a large number of Poles has increased your interest in Polish history?

Just curious and I hope it's good place to ask about this.
    Once, when at work a showed Sabaton video "40 :1" to my Irish fellow he was really surprised reading info about Battle of Wizna on that video. Of course it was not really famous battle but he was surprised that Polish could fight with Germans in this way.

So, what about you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I lived in Poznan when I was younger, for about 4 years. I travelled around Poland quite a bit, and was always very interested in its history.

Its been about 5 years since I was there now though, and I've forgotten just about everything I learned. Including the language.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

the polish have a poor military history tbh seems like they needed rescuing far too often in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Artur.PL

paky wrote: »
    the polish have a poor military history tbh seems like they needed rescuing far too often in the past.
    a few examples?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Yes. To me there's nothing like asking a native (of whatever country) about their history, you get the real version.

I wonder though, do the Polish people here ever think about Irish history? Perhaps if they did, they could understand why most Irish people oppose other nationalities living here permanently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Artur.PL wrote: »
    a few examples?

world war two and the katyn massacre
    newmug wrote: »
    Yes. To me there's nothing like asking a native (of whatever country) about their history, you get the real version.

I wonder though, do the Polish people here ever think about Irish history? Perhaps if they did, they could understand why most Irish people oppose other nationalities living here permanently.

most of the polish i've met have read irish history and draw comparisons between it and polish history because of both countries history with imperial colonists

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Rubbish..

Yes I have Polish friends and was quiet surprised to find my friends girlfriend is from a town with an almost identical name to my surname. Their history is very interesting due to its location between two more powerful regions Germany/Russia, Very intelligent people too.

BTW My friends are honest with me and they even realise lots of people here haven't a clue about anything outside the island, If the Irish could run Ireland properly then we would not have needed any immigrants !! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Previous to the welcome arrival of the Poles, I had been interested in the country because of the then Pope and the activities of trade union Soladarity.
    Polish history does seem to have that tragic element in it, WWII, Russian subjectation and being caught up in the schemes of Napoleon.
    A recent book about the Soviet-Polish war "In White Eagle, Red Star" by Norman Davies was an interesting read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

charlemont wrote: »
    Rubbish.....

Chill there will ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

The Polish in Poland were always asking me about Irish culture.

world war two and the katyn massacre
    We did not get any support on the beginning. You have to remember that Poland was independent country 20 years only when WW2 began. There was not enough time to build strong country(exactly like Ireland). Nevertheless polish army fought almost 5 weeks (how long time french army did?)

About Katyn. What they could do? On 17th of September order form HQ was not to fight with Red Army. Poles did not expect what's gonna happen. Nobody helped us also.

Also I have to say that I like to read about Irish history. I'm interested in military history so I like to read about this(I still remember face the person I asked about some detail about Brian Boru because I did not clear understand what High King menas :) ). Garda history is very interesting also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I will admit I don't know enough about Polish history. Especially given the major role Poland paid in Europe up until the late 18th century (and it's partition).

I do think most Irish people in general are surprised when it's pointed out that Poland was perhaps the biggest country in Europe in the early 17th century. Or that a army led by the Polish King saved Europe from the Ottomans at the Battle of Vienna in 1683 (Jan III Sobieski) -- one result of that battle was introduction of Coffee to European palate!

Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in 1635:
    980px-Polish-Lithuanian_Commonwealth_1635.png

Tbh Paky I do think your comments about "needing rescue" are somewhat in bad taste. Especially as it completely ignores the importance of polish military contribution in Europe during the 16th and 17th centuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Artur.PL wrote: »
    Does the arrival of a large number of Poles has increased your interest in Polish history?

Just curious and I hope it's good place to ask about this.

Irish ‘Wild Geese’ soldiers fought in the Polish Service. The Catholic link with Ireland is very strong, a shared religious background and was very evident when I first went to Poland (Warsaw) in 1992 on business.

I had no idea of its history when I first went there, and frankly was staggered not only by what the Germans had done to Warsaw, but also what the Poles had done to rebuild the Old Town. The huge square, once the site of a palace, now empty but for a single arch, a monumental reminder of what once was and what the people had suffered.
    One ‘history’ memory was visiting the newly-launched Stock Exchange, located (where else!) in what had been the boardroom of the Party Headquarters building!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

But which real version? I think you would get radically different versions by asking Ellis Dee, Kevin Myarse or Own Arse for an outline of Irish history.:):)

Different people have different interests, and some Polish people - like some Irish people - will be interested in the history of a country they live in or are visiting. Others will not be.:D

The assertion I have underlined is a superb example of hyperbole. I am not aware of any poll of the Irish people having revealed that most of them oppose other nationalities living here permanently. As long as persons of other nationalities reside here legally (as all Poles do), it probably makes very little difference to most Irish people whether they are here temporarily or permanently. Our history contains numerous examples of foreigners coming here by force and dispossessing us, but the Poles come here in peace as our guests, and we should remain true to our long-standing tradition of hospitality and welcome them with the respect that any hard-working people deserve.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

.....they could understand why most Irish people oppose other nationalities living here permanently.

That's nothing but a convenient excuse to tolerate xenophobia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Irish ‘Wild Geese’ soldiers fought in the Polish Service.

From http://home.earthlink.net/~rggsibiba/html/sib/sib2.html

In 1609, the Swedish Army of King Gustav Adolphus sought out and recruited Irishman and Scots to fight in the Baltics and Germany. They served in Marquis of Hamilton's Scottish Regiment. In August 1631, the Irish troops were sketched, at Stettin by the Nuremberg printer Georg Koler. The Swedes however distrusted the Irish because they were Catholics; many of the Irish later joined the Polish and German armies

So, are there any Oconrrz, Obyrnz, etc., in Poland today?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

I studied it as part of my history undergrad. I found it fascinating. I think they're are a lot of similarities between Ireland and Poland, mostly in our struggles for freedom (Poland and Ireland both saw the Great War as an opportunity to pursue independence and both countries had factions that wanted to fight in the war to gain independence and those that saw it as an opportunity for rebellion).

Also I think it's position in Europe and the constant capture of Poland makes it a very rich country historically and culturally.

For anyone whos' interested http://www.amazon.com/Concise-History-Poland-Cambridge-Histories/dp/052185332X/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1 It's a bit pricey (well more than a bit) but i'm pretty sure I picked it up second hand in chapters or one of those. It's a really good read and I think Jerzy Lukowski is a fantastic historian and author.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I picked up this book here for 2 euro in a second hand book shop.

POLAND: KEY TO EUROPE
    by Raymond Leslie Buell

Only given it a brief skim though it seems interesting.
    What caught my eye about it however was the publishing date, 1939, within a few months of it being written Poland very clearly stopped being the potential "key to europe".

edit Amazon link if anybodies interested,

http://www.amazon.com/Poland-Europe-Raymond-Leslie-Buell/dp/1406745642

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I know a bit about Poland but typically as a product of research into German and Russian history. Which is sad in itself
    You mean our history of emigration and going abroad to find work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Originally Posted by newmug
    .....they could understand why most Irish people oppose other nationalities living here permanently.
    dave2pvd wrote: »
    That's nothing but a convenient excuse to tolerate xenophobia.

A bit more diplomacy here lads would be helpful. Calling someone xenophobic can cause offence and is not necessary. Much better would be to ask for clarification of the original comment.

Moderator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Polish pilots got the Brits out of a bit of trouble with the Battle Of Britain and got very little recognition for it, not even being allowed in the victory parade.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They managed to get completely wiped off the map for a hundred years or so and still kept their own language and culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

dmcronin wrote: »
    Polish pilots got the Brits out of a bit of trouble with the Battle Of Britain and got very little recognition for it, not even being allowed in the victory parade.
    having a dig at the brits ?.the reason britain and france went to war with germany was because they made a pact with poland that if she was invaded they would declare war on germany,with poland falling a large part of their armed forces fled to britain and fought under british command,as well as the battle of britain,they were involved in the north african campaign,my father was in the 7th army [in the tank reg desert rats] when he was alive he would often recall how brave they were,taking places like monti cassino ,he used to say when the tanks attacked the german strongholds ,the polish [1st poles] would walk alongside them, a big part of the polish forces never went back home they stayed and married into the local community that is why today there are many polish clubs still in the towns in the north of england

getz wrote: »
    having a dig at the brits ?

Insofar as not getting the recognition they deserved, that was rather craven of the powers that be, for fear of putting Stalin's nose out of joint.

They declared war and unfortunately did nothing more. They lost chance to defeat Germans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

the reason britain and france went to war with germany was because they made a pact with poland that if she was invaded they would declare war on germany...
    They also promised the Poles that they would defend them, something that London and Paris had absolutely no intention of doing. Poland's role in that war was to buy time for the Western armies to mobilise. To quote Julian Jackson (The Fall of France): "[Allied military assurances to Poland] were all absolutely cynical, since there were no French plans for action on this scale. The French and British knew that there was nothing they could do for Poland. There was never any intention of saving Poland, at least in the short term. Poland's role was to allow the western powers the chance to save themselves by providing a breathing space. Gamelin to Gort in July 1939, 'We have every interest in the conflict beginning in the east and only generalising little by little. That way we shall enjoy the time we need to mobilise the totality of Franco-British forces'"

Insofar as not getting the recognition they deserved, that was rather craven of the powers that be, for fear of putting Stalin's nose out of joint.
    and did ireland do anything ?dont throw stones in glass houses,there were many refugee [jewish]polish children turned away by the irish goverment ,why

and did ireland do anything ?dont throw stones in glass houses,there were many refugee [jewish]polish children turned away by the irish goverment ,why

You're sailing off topic there, bud. The topic is Poland. If you want to discuss what Ireland did or did not do during the War go off and open a new thread.

You're sailing off topic there, bud. The topic is Poland. If you want to discuss what Ireland did or did not do during the War go off and open a new thread.
    then stick to polish history and leave your cheap anti british digs for the republican thread

Whatever.

• Advertisement

the history of the polish people in britain is very strong,to most its the first country they think about when leaving poland,the UK may still be in the doldrums,but according to the office for national statisitics [ONS] net migration to the UK from poland is on the up and poles are now the biggest group of foreign nationals in the UK.sum 545,000 polish passport holders now live in the UK,and there are over 130,000 polish children born and reg in the UK,they are not only coming to work they are putting down their roots and intergrating into british society,

Advertisement