Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast of Champions is?

Options
  • 12-02-2012 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

So I entering my first mountain bike race on saturday. I don't usually worry about what I have for breafast before I go mountain biking. But this is a race so wondered what should I eat and what snacks to bring.
    The face is a mixture of uphill flat and down hill, it will take me 70 to 80 mins to complete the course. The race starts at noon.
    Also I go lift weights 3 days a week and play squash, if I just take friday off from any of these would that be best? I plan on biking a bit this week. maybe monday tuesday thurs an hour each. I am really just entering for fun, but would be good to go about it the right way.
    Also I am guessing it's good to do a little warm up cycle before the race starts? Not just head straight for the 1st hill cold?
    I have order some pre workout supplement for taking before weights, would this be good pre race too? It's just ment to make you focus and have more energy, have protein shakes too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Dont vary your diet outside what your body is used to. If its used to getting cornflakes with coffee then keep to that.
    About 30-40 mns before race start top up your enegy levels with what you know your body can digest easily and be well hydrated and well 'drained'
    Make sure legs heart and lungs are at full speed and ready to go for the start as I would imagine the other riders will go off at full pelt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

went on a 65km cycle today. wolfed down an omlette, two pitta breads and two bowls of rice crispies and straight out the door.

just eat plenty of garbage b4 u go so you'll have plenty of energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

paky wrote: »
    went on a 65km cycle today. wolfed down an omlette, two pitta breads and two bowls of rice crispies and straight out the door.

Christ I'd be straight back to bed for a lie down after that lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

abceire wrote: »
    So I entering my first mountain bike race on saturday. I don't usually worry about what I have for breafast before I go mountain biking. But this is a race so wondered what should I eat and what snacks to bring.
    The face is a mixture of uphill flat and down hill, it will take me 70 to 80 mins to complete the course. The race starts at noon.
    Also I go lift weights 3 days a week and play squash, if I just take friday off from any of these would that be best? I plan on biking a bit this week. maybe monday tuesday thurs an hour each. I am really just entering for fun, but would be good to go about it the right way.
    Also I am guessing it's good to do a little warm up cycle before the race starts? Not just head straight for the 1st hill cold?
    I have order some pre workout supplement for taking before weights, would this be good pre race too? It's just ment to make you focus and have more energy, have protein shakes too.

There's usually a warm up lap before the start of an MTB race.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Christ I'd be straight back to bed for a lie down after that lot.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd be of the James Hunt school of thought on what constitutes the breakfast of champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I'd be of the James Hunt school of thought on what constitutes the breakfast of champions.

I get hungry very fast after this breakfast, I wouldn't suggest it as a pre-race meal :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Cows blood and raw meat - just make sure the farmer hasn't been slipping the cattle any special medicine!!:)

If you can't stomach that, porridge, honey and some dried fruit a couple of hours beforehand -

don't like porridge? A brownbread sanger made with a well ripe banana and honey.

Or there's always these.....

Chris-Hoy-Bran-Flakes-advert-214x300.jpg

Or go retro with some of Robert Millar's favourite cereal....
    Kelloggs_Start_375g.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Booze, fags and a bird! Is that why you ran out of puff up Dorey's Forge yesterday, Vlad?;)

james-hunt-1976-f12.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I get hungry very fast after this breakfast, I wouldn't suggest it as a pre-race meal :p
    this type makes me sleepy, also my gf is in canada

• Advertisement

Thanks dude, it's a friends birthday the night beofe guessing lots of whiskey the night before is a no no?
    I like raisins so I'll throw them in some pordige with honey. I am so unfit for this it'll be funny, squash and weights don't make you any better for mountain bike races.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The "Baggy Shorts" category is meant to be fun, so dont worry about breakfasts or a few whiskeys...

The main thing to watch out for are the fast lads coming up behind you on the trail, when you hear "Rider" or "On your left" Make sure you move outta there way.... :)

And sleep! I always seem to have less then 6 hours sleep the night before. All rested.
    I'll keep an eye out for faster riders, it starts with a nice climb so that'll give all the others time to pass us out so my mate I and can settle into a nice pace at the back.

And sleep! I always seem to have less then 6 hours sleep the night before. All rested.
    I'll keep an eye out for faster riders, it starts with a nice climb so that'll give all the others time to pass us out so my mate I and can settle into a nice pace at the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

cant beat the weetabix, its either that or some instant oats
    Tesco-Instant-Hot-Oat-Cereal-750G.jpg

its 100% oats(including oat flour)
    I cook it in milk in a saucepan, throw in some sunflower seeds, frozen berries, bit of honey and 2 scoops of vanilla protein. enough for 2 large bowls, that keeps me going for a while!

its nice with chocolate protein powder too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Jawgap wrote: »
    Kelloggs_Start_375g.jpg

Great stuff! I've been known to eat a full box after a long spin.

Porridge with flax and honey, coffee and pineapple juice is my usual pre-spin breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

chakattack wrote: »
    Great stuff! I've been known to eat a full box after a long spin.

Porridge with flax and honey, coffee and pineapple juice is my usual pre-spin breakfast.

Does the cyclist with yellow jersey on the box give you any incentive?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SasQuatch88

Or go retro with some of Robert Millar's favourite cereal....
    Kelloggs_Start_375g.jpg[/QUOTE]

Do they honestly still sell this stuff? If they do i haven't seen It, i deserve a slap for not seeing it..

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I wrote a blog post about this exact topic a while ago: http://ryansherlock.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-prerace-and-preride-nutrition.html

When making any changes to your nutrition, do so well away from racing. Start it off when doing normal training. Then go through your nutrition plan during a training ride that you know is going to be really hard. (I could eat a heavy breakfast and go on an easy ride no bother, put me into a race though and I would get sick!)

Good luck tomorrow & have fun. Racing is an amazing way to push yourself to new levels from both a skill and fitness point of view - but remember, keep smiling! :)

[I'm about to go out for 3 hours with a bunch of intervals - I had oats socked overnight in water with rasions and zipvit whey protein for flavor - then cooked with a banana and some soy milk - oh, and coffee, can't forget the coffee]

Anyone ever tried something like Jack3d before a race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Do they honestly still sell this stuff? If they do i haven't seen It, i deserve a slap for not seeing it..

They surely do. I had a bowl of it myself the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SasQuatch88

NickWray wrote: »
    They surely do. I had a bowl of it myself the other day.

I'm in meath meself, so where the fudge would one get a box? havent seen it locally anyway.. might take a trip to the Supermarché

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I didn't have it in my own house but I've definitely seen it in Superquinn, Supervalu, Tesco..

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Thanks dude, it's a friends birthday the night beofe guessing lots of whiskey the night before is a no no?
    I like raisins so I'll throw them in some pordige with honey. I am so unfit for this it'll be funny, squash and weights don't make you any better for mountain bike races.

That's what I take before any cycling. Flahavan's microwaveable porridge with a good dollop of syrup and raisins/sultanas. I can practically feel the energy levels going up while eating.

jinkypolly wrote: »
    That's what I take before any cycling. Flahavan's microwaveable porridge with a good dollop of syrup and raisins/sultanas. I can practically feel the energy levels going up while eating.

Porridge with raisins and Canadian syrup or honey. mmmmmm nice.
    Wish me luck, I do like having faster people in front of me, something to try match, my friend and I are both not fit so we don't push each other enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'm in meath meself, so where the fudge would one get a box? havent seen it locally anyway.. might take a trip to the Supermarché

Currently on special in Tesco for €1.69 for 375g box.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭lovelyoner

Anyone ever tried something like Jack3d before a race?

I wouldn't recommend that shít for a few reasons;

-It's illegal in most sports (definitely in footy&rugby&rowing, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't in cycling).
    -It's seriously bad for you.
    -I took it a number of times before trainings, although not for cycling. I was wearing a heart rate monitor and my rate went manic whilst I was taking it, the stuff also made me so dizzy after trainings I literally had to sit down for an hour. It also gives you other side effects like burnout, sleepyness, mood swings, acne, ect.
    -Like people have said before, if you took it before a race for the first time your body wouldn't know what's going on and you'd probably puke it up.

moral of the story-keep clear of jack3d!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Wheely GR8

lovelyoner wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend that shít for a few reasons;

I've been taking various supplements over the last few months ,never taken any heavy caffeine products though.
    The image I get from caffeine products is that it kick starts your heart for heavy weight training and can help with the stress of it.
    Cycling is cardio work out ,so your heart is already doing everything it needs to do ,pushing it any more will wear you out.

Thats only my 2c.:(

Edit: Jack3d is to be banned hear ,afaik ?

Advertisement